"Problem" batch of HP

lovemylabs

We soaped last night and had two crock pots going (which is what we always do). In each crock pot is a double batch, each making a 3 lb loaf. We space the two crock pots about 30 minutes apart, giving us time in between to clean the mixing bowls and utensils so they can be used for the next crock pot batch. (hope you're following this...sorry). Anyway, the first crock pot was ready...we divided into two large measuring cups, and began mixing our fo and our colors. All was good and beautiful. Then my husband said, "this next one is ready". It had only been like five minutes...not the thirty or so we normally have. I was freaking out because I still had to clean the large measuring cups, utensils and make a blend that I failed to do prior to beginning. (big no no) Anyway, he added water to the batch so we could work with it once it was divided. It was getting very thick. I was hurrying like crazy to get all the stuff done...he added more water. We finally were able to get the batches divided, fo added and dyes in and put in the molds...but what a mess. I demolded the first two loaves and they are perfect. The last two from the "problem batch" are still soft. Can I put these in the oven? Should I just let them sit for a while longer? We've never had this issue before and I know it had to do with temperature on the second crock pot. Will these two loaves be OK? Sorry for the "windy question"

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to update...this has been drying out since June 1st and is still soft. The outside almost feels slightly brittle/crusty (if that makes sense), but when you press on it, it's very soft inside. I can actually take a bar and bend it. After researching, I've come to the conclusion that the temp was too high and then when we tried to recover, too much water was added. We soaped several batches that week and the two loaves from this crock pot turned out the same. All the other batches turned out perfect. So, it has to be the extra water we added. Now on to research if these two loaves are a "lost cause" or if they can somehow be salvaged. Disappointed, but learned from our mistake :)

Edited by lovemylabs
Add the comment on heat

Hi Love, I'd shred and mill them. Crock on med, maybe only add enough water to make it moist- best way is to spritz it on. It might take up to 2 hours but keep the shreds on medium and slowly they will go to gel. That will def. help get rid of all that excess water.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

We've been so busy making candles this week, that we haven't had time to work on soap until yesterday and today. So, we took your suggestion and it worked!! Both loaves turned out beautifully! Thank you soooo much. I really appreciate your input!! Hugs :)