Taking credit cards- signatures?

OK:confused:- I just signed up to take credit cards through my cell phone, can either enter info manually or swipe it through a card reader. Little confused on when to get a signature/imprint.

If I swipe the card, do I need a signature and/or imprint? I can easily use an imprinter, but do I need to imprint it and have the customer sign the card?

If I enter info manually (over the phone for example)- do I then need to ask for the security code/billing address?

I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and protect myself.

I have been reading Visa's website, but it seems the info they have is a little different than the credit card merchant/company I am going through.

Thanks in advance!

:rolleyes2

Did your new wireless CC Phone come with a printer? If not you may want to check into getting one. They are wonderful.

People are funny now a days having their CC swiped with a manual imprinter due to CC theft. Before I went wireless, I had customers not purchase at shows with a CC because they did not want me to swipe their card. Then some people are fine with it having their card swiped on the old imprinters???

If you do have a printer, then swipe the card, print out the merchants receipt and have them sign it, then print out a customer receipt and have give that to them for their records. Any time you can get the customers signature, make sure you do it. You want to cover your butt.

If you take it over the phone and don't have the card in hand. Get their Zip, Address and their 3 digit CVC # and enter those in when prompted. You will get lower processing rates that way. It shows you have the card in han

Edited by islandgirl

Where can the printers be purchased without having to sign up for a merchant account? How is it powered?

Chauna

You can purchase it right through Intuit- according to the chat person the only one you can use is the BLUE BAMBOO P25- listed at $218... They should be able to give you 20% off if you ask.

I have been playing around with the app also, made the list of my products right on the berry app!

Use an imprinter for now, if you don't want to fork our $200.00 for a printer just yet. If people don't like that you are using the manual imprinter, then they can pay cash.. Ya know..

You can always use a black permanent marker and black out all the card numbers except the last 4 on their receipt too if you use the imprinter. I used to do that before I went wireless and able to print out reciepts, blacking out their numbers always seemed to help make customers feel safer.

My wife is a Cosmetology Independent Contractor and she uses her DROID to accept credit cards with Square Up. You swipe on the phone, sign on the phone and a receipt is either texted or email to her clients. We were a little apprehensive at first about not having a paper to sign, but since she has been doing it for 6 months, she has only had 1 person refuse to use it. The rates are good for us, since not everyone uses a credit card to pay, and there is no contract. I set up an account for my candle co., and I get to use it next weekend at a festival... Also, if someone contests a charge, square keeps the signature on file and will send you a copy of the signature if you need it. I think it's an awesome product.

My wife is a Cosmetology Independent Contractor and she uses her DROID to accept credit cards with Square Up. You swipe on the phone, sign on the phone and a receipt is either texted or email to her clients. We were a little apprehensive at first about not having a paper to sign, but since she has been doing it for 6 months, she has only had 1 person refuse to use it. The rates are good for us, since not everyone uses a credit card to pay, and there is no contract. I set up an account for my candle co., and I get to use it next weekend at a festival... Also, if someone contests a charge, square keeps the signature on file and will send you a copy of the signature if you need it. I think it's an awesome product.

Unfortunately Square is not available for Blackberrys...:angry2:

Good morning! I was reading your comments on acceptance of credit cards and just wanted to confirm that a manual credit card imprinter is definitely the most cost-effective way to issue a customer receipt if you are (or are not) processing an electronic transaction. Addressograph Bartizan is the world's leading manufacturer and provider of manual credit card imprinters and related supplies. Please note that they manufacture their own "truncated" imprinter charge slips which hide the first 12-digits of the customer's credit card thus eliminating the need to "black out the numbers with a magic marker"... Goodness knows this is a more professional solution! For further information or assistance, feel free to contact 1-800-565-0551 x 5170

post-13459-139458481186_thumb.jpg