Finally - Scentsy warmer & HT!!!

sjconner

I have been dinking around with making tarts and testing them in scentsy warmers. I figure that most of my tart customers will own a scentsy warmer (they are very big here). I tried all sorts of stuff and never seemed to get a good or any HT. I was just about ready to throw in the towel and decided to pull out my plain 4794. I hadn't tried it because its melt point is so high - 128. I started my warmer at 11:07. I couldn't smell anything and couldn't smell anything. I was about to give up ... my DH took me out to lunch. When I got back I could kinda smell it. After being on for about 2.5 hours, I could finally smell it and it was fairly strong. It is 5:51 and still strong. There is a small bit of wax on the edges that has melted and solidified. I think I finally have something that works! I need to have more patience!

Does anyone else have a long wait time until HT? Do you think the time is excessive?

Susan

Your results are about the same as mine. I know the potential customers I have will not wait that long for the tarts to throw. Funny part is, if I take the same tarts and put them in a tealight burner or any of the older electric burners I have, the scent is so strong within minutes that you can barely stand it(I overloaded these in the hopes they'd work faster in the Scentsy burner than previous tries). I even had the windows open with the wind blowing in and the whole house smelled like I was baking apple fritters in every room(and I'm talking 2700 sq.ft.)!

In a different thread, someone said you need to put a 40 watt bulb in the big Scentsy burners to get them to work properly, but my potential customers love the 25 watt bulb because they can leave it turned on continually for the night light effect AND because the bowl never gets so hot you can't pick it up, even after hour after hour of being turned on. I've asked if the folks on here that have switched to a 40 watt bulb in the Scentsy burners have found that the bowl gets hot, but haven't gotten a response. I'll continue to test these. The sales potential is too great.:tiptoe:

Ok, so I glean from this that the heat/wattage of the burner is crucial to the wax mix and FO load. Starting to sound like it is easier to make candles than tarts.

I was trying to figure out a wax melt point for my mix and what an average electric warmer uses.

The formula I posted in the general forum went without a single reply. Here it is again...

Wax 1 ... MP times ounces

Wax 2 ... MP times ounces

FO ... MP times ounces (I assume a FO melts at 0F, but not sure, given it is an oil, probably well in the - numbers)

Add the multipliers and divide by the total ounces.

Wax 1 ... 128MP x 8 oz = 1024

Wax 1 ... 126MP x 8 oz = 1008

FO ... 0 MP x 3 = 0

19 oz total divided into 2035 (total ounces times total degrees) = 107 degrees for the MP.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? I know I don't leave candles in my car in Tucson during the day. they melt and if not exactly upright, they show the angle. (great way to fix your tops though)

Edited by EricofAZ

Ok, so I glean from this that the heat/wattage of the burner is crucial to the wax mix and FO load. Starting to sound like it is easier to make candles than tarts.

I was trying to figure out a wax melt point for my mix and what an average electric warmer uses.

The formula I posted in the general forum went without a single reply. Here it is again...

Wax 1 ... MP times ounces

Wax 2 ... MP times ounces

FO ... MP times ounces (I assume a FO melts at 0F, but not sure, given it is an oil, probably well in the - numbers)

Add the multipliers and divide by the total ounces.

Wax 1 ... 128MP x 8 oz = 1024

Wax 1 ... 126MP x 8 oz = 1008

FO ... 0 MP x 3 = 0

19 oz total divided into 2035 (total ounces times total degrees) = 107 degrees for the MP.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? I know I don't leave candles in my car in Tucson during the day. they melt and if not exactly upright, they show the angle. (great way to fix your tops though)

I have no ideal what you are saying but a melt point is the same if it's 1 oz or 20. I'm sure your car gets way hotter with the widows shut and the candle lid on. Not sure what the lowest melt point wax is. My wax is 135mp and doesn't do well in the Scentsy warmers. Haven't explored it too much, do know their is paraffin.

I use KY Tart Wax mixed with 20% 464 and they work great in Scentsy warmers. I work in my vets office and use Scentsy's "Paws" warmer there. I also sell Jackel warmers which has a 14 watt heating pad and my tarts work on that also. I sell clamshells and usually put 1 or 2 cubes in. Great HT in about 10 minutes. I sell tons of clamshell tarts and have 40 fragrances. All strong throwers. Just tried a new one for me, Peaks Brown Sugar and Fig and it is awesome. No problem melting in a Scentsy warmer with a 25 watt bulb.

Well, let me try to explain a bit more. The formula is "supposed" to figure out your final melt point after you make the tart.

KY has a MP of 132

464 has a MP of 117.5 (lonestar says 115-120)

Assume FO at 0

So, 80/20 split.

8 oz of KY x 132 = 1056

2 oz of 464 x 117.5 = 236

1 oz of FO x 0 = 0

11 oz total mix / 1292 = 117.4 MP for the final product.

So I would guess that if my formula is correct, your tarts melt at 117.4 degrees.

Well, let me try to explain a bit more. The formula is "supposed" to figure out your final melt point after you make the tart.

KY has a MP of 132

464 has a MP of 117.5 (lonestar says 115-120)

Assume FO at 0

So, 80/20 split.

8 oz of KY x 132 = 1056

2 oz of 464 x 117.5 = 236

1 oz of FO x 0 = 0

11 oz total mix / 1292 = 117.4 MP for the final product.

So I would guess that if my formula is correct, your tarts melt at 117.4 degrees.

Eric, Bless your heart! And your brain!

Ok, so, no hair up there to pull out. I'm mostly a chrome dome guy. But there was a reason why I was trying to figure out the melt point. I read where the scentsy warmers get up to 110 degrees so that made me think that the harder wax tarts won't melt.

Anyway, I bought one of those Home and Garden electric warmers today and its plugged in now. The base of the plate got up to 150 degrees rather quickly, so I think the melt temps of the wax are probably just fine.