Cut n Curl Testing

Any thoughts on testing for cut 'n curl candles? I'm moving in the direction of making a few and I'm sure I'll screw up the first ones so no problem lighting the wick to test.

What am I looking for? Should it tunnel down the core and leave the decorative standing? I can test the core easy enough.

Should I be shooting for a luminary?

I dont think many cut and curl candles are geared for good burning. Given that most are star shaped and tapered and that most of us use pigments which clog the wick... that right there takes away any good chance of a perfect burn. I do use a clear core on them so that could help if the top is decorated with a round cut and not much pigment can get to the wick. Another thing is that the wicks have to be a bit larger than normal just to support the weight of carving, spinning and dipping. You have a 4 lb tall slender candle and there is a good chance the wick that can hold that weight will be too large for a proper burn. Bruce

Good point about the wick, I was wondering about that given the videos that show the candle being suspended from the wick.

Do you label them as "decorative only?"

By the way, we'd all love to see some pics of your carvings.

Edited by EricofAZ

Those are beautiful candles.

I wonder if they could be put on a lazy suzie and carved that way so the wick doesn't have to be oversized. I suppose the wick still has to withstand the dipping process.

Edited by EricofAZ