wick problems

in the new container i am wicking, it is 3 1/4 inch in diameter. ezsoy, and three rrd34's well.....the melt pool is perfect. its clear to the edges...exactly as it should be, but the wicks seem to want to drown out. i know they arnt too small because then the melt pool wouldnt be so good right? Could they be too big? Thanks for any advice! :smiley2:

Oh my, I would definitely think that they are too big as a trio. I burn that same diameter with one wick. Perhaps you might consider stepping up on your wick size and reduce the number of wicks.

Just a point of information: your melt pool is a result of the heat from the flame of your wick(s). Your rate of wax consumption is a result of how efficient (read-->properly wicked) your wick consumes the fuel resulting from your melt pool/melted wax.:)

in the new container i am wicking, it is 3 1/4 inch in diameter. ezsoy, and three rrd34's well.....the melt pool is perfect. its clear to the edges...exactly as it should be, but the wicks seem to want to drown out. i know they arnt too small because then the melt pool wouldnt be so good right? Could they be too big? Thanks for any advice! :smiley2:

Hi,

It depends on your jar or wax. Do your jars have large corners? Even if they do, two wicks should do fine. I have large cornered jars at that size, and I use two wicks with the Calsoy CB-3 which takes awhile to melt. I have never used the EZ Soy but I have found that other soys seem to be one wick size down from what I use with the Calsoy CB-3. I normally use two RRD 37's and the RRD 40's -- depends on the oil. I have an even bigger jar that I have to usually use at least two 40's (sometimes 37's - not often) and even two 47's and 50's at times. This is based on double wicking -- if you prefer to use more than one wick -- and a FO load between 8 & 9 percent most of the time -- sometimes 7%.

You could try to use just two 34's and if that does not work then go up to the 37's. If that still does not work then you may even need two 40's -- depends on the soy and FO. It most likely is drowning because the wicks are too small but since there are three wicks/flames the melt pool is still achieved.

I hope that helped a bit. :)

~Holly

thanks siberia, i thought of maybe trying three wicks because i love multiple wicked candles, they always look so pretty burning. the container isnt getting too hot at all, but they are drowning. So yes, i will have to try a bigger size i guess and less wicks lol. what size do you use if you dont mind me asking, do you use soy wax also? thanks so much!

Hi holly, yes it did help. No the corners arnt square, I did try two rrd 34's i also tried two cd 12's neither made a full melt pool. Im not sure if two rrd 37's would either. But I will try. I dont know why i bought so many holiday type containers and are just now getting around to messing with them lol oh well :o

Hi holly, yes it did help. No the corners arnt square, I did try two rrd 34's i also tried two cd 12's neither made a full melt pool. Im not sure if two rrd 37's would either. But I will try. I dont know why i bought so many holiday type containers and are just now getting around to messing with them lol oh well :o

Hi again Laura,

Is it a pretty thick oil? I have to use RRD 40's most of the time with the bakery and vanilla type scents. Yes, I figured that the main problem with the 34's was that they were too small and not the fact that there were three wicks and causing the meltpool to drown them out. My jars are really hard to get the corners. How did the flames look with the 37's? If they still looked wimpy then I bet you can go up to two 40's or even two 47's. I know what you mean about buying different containers and it adding the testing stress. :o There are so many pretty containers out there and are so tempting, but it always means more testing which means more work and more hair pulling. :P Good luck and let us know if you get the right wicks in there and what they end up being.

~Holly

EDITED TO ADD: I should have asked if the 34 flames were still wimpy. If so, they definitely are too small and the next size should help.

Ooops, just noticed that you have not tried the 37's. They may work. The 34's are just too small. If the 37's do not work I bet the 40's will. I bet you will be able to get it. My jars are really difficult and the CB-3 is hard to burn, but I have had success with double wicking with the RRD's. :)