Question on soap making and moisture...

angielyn

I have never made any but would love to try. My biggest question is that there are sooo many recipes etc. I don't know what to try. Second is I have Sjogrens which causes dryness. I would like to try something that holds a lot of moisture. I guess that's what I'm trying to say... I would be my own guinea pig (not sure that's a good thing or not haha) but basically I would like anyones thoughts or ideas on something that is very moisturizing.

Thanks for any and all help :smiley2:

There are some good recipes here.

I am still trying a different recipes to find one's I really like. I love really moisturising soaps too, so far I have found my most moisturising have had tallow, grapeseed oil in, that is two different recipes. I also like some shea nut butter in mine.

I'm one of those people who doesn't think soap itself can be moisturizing. I come at it from the other side: it can be gentle enough so that it doesn't strip the skin, and I think that's what you are really looking for. As for moisture, drink lots of water and use a lotion that acts as a barrier to keep moisture in the skin.

For ingredients in soap that don't strip the skin, try olive oil at a high percentage. It is easy to find and relatively inexpensive. I also like camillia oil, but more $$$.

Thanks, I will look those things up and see which I feel would help me out more.

As for drinking, this also causes everything to go dry (mouth) so drinking is a pretty constant thing for me, just it's not enough to help with the itchy skin I get all over :sad2:

Once again thank you and hopefully I come up with something that helps :smiley2:

A bastile is very very gentle, add some heavy cream for moisture and it is fabulous soap.

75% OO

25 % Co or PKO

Heavy cream to your taste, decrease your water by the amount of cream you use. Let it cure at least 4 weeks , 6 or 8 is better.