I totally don't understand...

Bernadette

Ever since I started getting call from potential melt customers, I'm getting totally confused... I've never done clams, and of course, Scentsy and Jamie Clair use clams. One person dropped off an empty Jamie Claire clam that they purchased at a True Value Hardware store. I've never seen a clam like this before. It has 24 little compartments. I poured some scrap wax in and each weighs .15 oz., but their packaging says 4 oz. I can't make the math work out*faint*! They also have a Scentsy clam that says 3.something fl. oz/2.something oz. net weight. What does all this mean. I've never done clams. Thanks for any clarification.:tiptoe:

It has 24 little compartments. I poured some scrap wax in and each weighs .15 oz., but their packaging says 4 oz.

========================

24 .15oz tarts weigh 3.6oz - add .4 for the packaging and you have 4 oz...just guessing tho:laugh2:

Edited by Pam W

Sorry...had to cut my original post short as my grandkids stopped in, asking tons of questions like little kids do while I'm trying to type.

Anyway, I went to the jamieclaire.com website and they have 2 and 4 oz. melt clams advertised. I mean, shouldn't anyone selling these be giving the weight of the product, not the product with packaging. It seems deceptive to me to add in packaging...but then what do I know?:tiptoe:

Sorry...had to cut my original post short as my grandkids stopped in, asking tons of questions like little kids do while I'm trying to type.

Anyway, I went to the jamieclaire.com website and they have 2 and 4 oz. melt clams advertised. I mean, shouldn't anyone selling these be giving the weight of the product, not the product with packaging. It seems deceptive to me to add in packaging...but then what do I know?:tiptoe:

To be compliant with "the rules" the weight should be of the product sans packaging. If rounding is done, it should be rounded down, never up. (3.6 oz would be 3, not 4 oz)

Well, here's a question for you then...is it possible that different waxes weigh different amounts? For instance, all I've ever used is paraffin and gel. If I take my own melt molds and pour one in paraffin and one in gel, and then weigh the melts when hardened, the gel weighs more. I tested farther, and the same thing happens when using votive molds and containers...the gel ones always weigh more. So...if these vendors are using soy, or palm, or beeswax, or whatever, will there be a difference in the final weight? Seems logical...:tiptoe:

I've never made sense of what Scentsy puts on their label either but I'm guessing the answer is in your original post:

"a Scentsy clam that says 3.something fl. oz/2.something oz. net weight"

I've always assumed that Scentsy lists what the fluid ounces are of the melted wax, then lists the real weighed weight behind it. The second number is the required packaging weight but by putting that first number in there it looks like a customer is getting more.