Starting Again

So I had to put this hobby on hold for a long while due to being layed off and looking for a new job (no extra cash). I recently began testing incense and thought to start testing my candles again with unsuccessful results... so here goes my findings:

Scent: Apple Melon (NG - personal FO mix)

Wax: 464 |Wax Amt: 8 oz. |Wick: ECO 10 then switched to ECO 8 |Jar: Libbey 6 oz. (2 7/8” dia.)

Heated: 180* |FO Added: 180* |FO Amt: ½ oz. |Cure time: 24 hrs.

I was unable to get an accurate temp reading, so I gave an estimate. I poured 6 oz. while hot and got a medium to strong scent. I allowed candle to set up for 24 hrs. before first burn. Good CT and smooth tops.

- Test #1: During 1st hr. with ECO 10, the candle reached a FMP and the glass was warm; stopped test and decided to melt down candle and re-wick with ECO 8. Uneven/pocked top when cooled.

- Test #2: Allowed to burn for three hrs. Achieved FMP during 3rd hr. Flame was steady; the jar remained luke warm/warm, no mushrooming and some hang up on the jar. All seemed successful with exception that the HT was faint. Smooth top when cooled.

- Test #3: Allowed to burn for three hrs. Achieved FMP during 3rd hr. Flame steady, but low; jar luke warm/warm, no mushrooming and slight hang up. Still no HT improvement. L

Scent: Tropical Violet (CSci - personal FO mix)

Wax: 464 |Wax Amt: 8 oz. |Wick: ECO 10 |Jar: Libbey 6 oz. (2 7/8” dia.)

Heated: 180* |FO Added: 180* |FO Amt: ½ oz. |Cure time: 48 hrs.

I was unable to get an accurate temp reading, so I gave an estimate. I poured 6 oz. while hot and got a medium to strong scent. I allowed candle to set up for 48 hrs. before first burn. Good CT and smooth.

- Test #1: Allowed to burn for three hrs. Achieved ¼ “ FMP during 3rd hr. Flame was steady and fluctuated between low-med; the jar remained luke warm/warm, no mushrooming and no hang up on the jar. All seemed successful with an ok HT. Smooth top when cooled.

- Test #2: Allowed to burn for three hrs. Achieved a little over ¼ “ FMP during 3rd hr. Flame was steady; the jar remained luke warm-warm, large mushroom developed and no hang up on the jar. No HT improvement. L

Scent: Blossoms (NG - personal FO mix)

Wax: 464 |Wax Amt: 8 oz. |Wick: ECO 10 |Jar: Libbey 6 oz. (2 7/8” dia.)

Heated: 180* |FO Added: 180* |FO Amt: ½ oz. |Cure time: 72 hrs.

I was unable to get an accurate temp reading, so I gave an estimate. I poured 6 oz. while hot and got a medium to strong scent. I allowed candle to set up for 72 hrs. before first burn. Ok-Good CT and smooth top.

- Test #1: Allowed to burn for three hrs. Achieved ¼ “ FMP during 3rd hr. Flame was steady; the jar remained luke warm/warm, mushrooming developed and was large at end of burn and no hang up on the jar. No HT. L

I’m thinking that my wax may be a problem (it was left over from when I was testing over a year ago) or the FO (about the same age as the wax, but it smelled strong OOB). I also had some off-center wicking (either this or the curling wick). I’m really stumped and the only thing I can think of is to buy new supplies and start over… *sigh*

Any suggestions?

(Will add pics later- having trouble loading them)

Edited by Caramel

It's not your wax, it's the cure time. Some FO's need a week or two to cure. When I first started I had exactly the same thing happen. I got frustrated, put them all away while I tested another wax. Then about 2 months later, my daughter wanted a candle to burn so I told her to get one of those. Guess what? Mega HT!

While not all FO work in 464, I wouldn't judge them on a 2 - 3 day cure. There is a ton on info on 464 here if you're willing to search for it.:)

HTH!

I agree with the previous poster. Soy needs cure time. And burning your candle within 24-72 hours just isn't long enough imo. I normally let mine cure for atleast a week before I test burn them. Let them sit for about a week and try testing them again. And as said already do a search you will find tons and tons of info on the 464. Good luck!!

@IwantItgreen- I was SOOOO hoping it wasn't the dreaded cure time. *siiiigh* LOL I searched here and some of my old notes and sites. But thanks for the response! :)

I'm concerned about the mushrooming, too. I don't think I should wick up higher than an ECO 10 (concerned about glass being too hot). Or do you recommend trying a ECO 12 or switching to CDs or CDNs?

Should I continue to test burn these even if there's not HT?

Thanks for the help! :)

I agree with the previous poster. Soy needs cure time. And burning your candle within 24-72 hours just isn't long enough imo. I normally let mine cure for atleast a week before I test burn them. Let them sit for about a week and try testing them again. And as said already do a search you will find tons and tons of info on the 464. Good luck!!

I just saw this after I posted. I guess I'll sit these to the side and try testing my other 3 testers.

Thank goodness I'm not dealing with dye, too... I think I'd curl into a ball and cry! LOL