I'm perplexed...

Makes no difference whether I'm burning a pillar or a votive, or a container with a totally opened top(like a fruit cup shaped container), I'm having the same result on my familyroom coffee table.

Let me set this up for you. Hope you're patient! My kitchen is in the front of the house, then there's a half wall, two steps down into the familyroom(which is on the back of the house. Cathedral ceilings. If you're standing at the top of the two steps looking out the back window, the couch is on the right, with the coffee table out in front of it.

I'll explain with what I have going right now. I have a big, solid glass snowball, which holds a straight sided votive holder that when inserted is even with the top of the snowball, so nothing sticks out. When I started burning the votive a couple days ago, the side of the votive toward the back window burns down first, the step side is untouched. On future burns, the step side catches up, so the whole thing burns, but I hate the way that looks. This happens with all the type candles mentioned above, but so you know, the votive is level, the wick centered, and in this case, is not scented. The flame does not flicker or "sway" at all. Almost looks artificial.

For all the type candles I mentioned, I've used a variety of paraffin and/or gel waxes. The paraffin waxes range from132 - 142 meltpoints. I've used htp, lx, flat braid, and zinc wicks, so I don't think it has anything to do with the small curl you get from self trimming wicks. To simplify matters, I don't use fragrance.

Any opinions on what could be causing this? The wax eventually all burns, but I hate the way this looks for the first few burns. Hope I've explained myself properly. I don't have this problem when I burn the candles elsewhere, which would make me think it's a draft, but the flame is always perfectly straight, no flickering.:confused: Thanks for any thoughts...

I'd be looking for some sort of light draft - my house has a natural draft that comes from the SW - can get fairly strong when I open the front door which faces due south and if I open my west facing kitchen door it can create a wind tunnel.

A good way to check for draft direction is to light an incense stick & walk around the house with it to see which way the smoke is flowing.

Edited by Pam W