How long to wait before testing wicks?

There seems to be quite a few that think that testing unscented wax (which I finally agreed to do) is a waste. But I also think it was a waste of time and money to retest with fo and dye when I had no idea where to start. Any wick guides I used were always way off... I also used the method of making a hole for a wick and replacing until i found one i like, but also pointless when you need to test the wick to the bottom. From what it sounds like, testing your unscented/undyed wax will give you an idea of how your wax works, what wicks work best, and a good starting point. Then you can test what dyes do/don't work with your wax, same with fragrance.

And, I too, have an IT background, am analytical, and like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time. And I like to know how things work. In IT, math, etc... You learn that skipping steps or getting ahead usually brings you right back to the beginning anyway.

Guess both will eventually get you to the same endpoint. It's just a personal choice of how much you want to know.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one starts with a candle without dye and scent it gives you a baseline to work from. Finding a wick that works for those conditions I don't think is a waste of time. Add color or scent next and retest. Next candle make with the dye and test. Final step is adding all the components and testing. This would be the most analytical way of doing it. A chore? Yes but at least you would know how the different components effect the burn. Every time I try and "wing it", I end up starting over, maybe with more experience I can take a few short cuts.