Crafts and buying shows

Does anyone go to these shows to purchase items? I was considering going to the Market Square Show in Philadelphia next month. Does anyone know about this show? Is it worth it for supplies and to find other suppliers or is it like a large crafts show that people sell their homemade products?

Tina

If the show sponsors have a website (or phone number) it should be easy to find out what kind of show it is. It could be anything from a craft show to a wide range of retail merchants displaying their wares. The name of the show doesn't give a clue. Usually, craft shows have the word "craft" in their name, and trade shows usually have the word "trade" in their name. But not always.

Have you googled it?

I've been to the Markets Square Shows in Valley Forge and Madison, Wisconsin.

You won't find much in the way of candle supplies (wax, wicks, or FOs) but you may come across some ceramic or glass containers you could use. Looks like Colonial Tin Works will be there so you may find some warmers. But, for the most part, the vendors sell their finished products or products that they have made for them overseas. Order writing may require a minimum dollar amount.

On the other hand, there are other volume candlemakers who sell wholesale and it's nice to see what they have to sell.

I have an aunt in Reading so my husband & I are planning on visiting her and stopping by the show.

Edited by Judy, USMC

I wasn't sure about the buying/customer application, what's that all about?? I understand they want true customers out there but still. You just can't go to one of these you have to register.

I looked up some of the companies most were chandlers, people that make crafts, most country primitive stuff, I really didn't find anything that was specifc for anything I wanted other than to see the products in person from a few of the companies I have ordered from in the past.

The shows are closed to the public. You have to be a business owner to get in. 90% of the people who attend order for their retail shops. There are a few of us "manufacturers" who go to see what's available for us to use (containers) ... or something that we can sell (like melters) that will go with our melts. That's why they ask for all that business info.

Since it is strictly wholesale the prices are much lower than what the public normally sees ... but are usually the same as what we see on their wholesale internet sites. The biggest advantage to going is to get their items in your hands to get a real feel for the quality. And during the cash-and-carry part there may not be a minimum dollar amount ... but they don't take all their products ... so they may not have what you are looking for.

But it is a nice get-away mini-vacation ...

Edited by Judy, USMC

I spoke to them today and Judy is definately correct. It is not a public show. You must pre-register and have a Tax-ID and some other business credentials. The woman said they have many different vendors from manufacturers of candles,lamps,wood furniture etc... There are some companies that could supply chandlers with products but there is no way of telling if they have what you want with them. There are alot of LARGE writing orders with minimums and then some cash and carry. Being that I am only a month in and not selling anything to the public I dont have the business credentials yet. I was going to make it a little weekend getaway with my hubby and no kids being only 3 hours away but I will look elsewhere for any other shows.

I'm assuming you are either in or very close to Pennsylvania. This is a link I use to find things to do while I'm up there visiting relatives. I wish other states had this type of info. Now these sellers are showing finished products but it's a great way to get an idea of booth arrangement and presentation, and maybe get some inspiration about FO types (bakery, floral, botanical, etc.) and container sizes that are selling in that area. I always try to compare their prices to mine, too.

http://www.collectiblewebs.com/craftshows/pa-county.htm

Hope that helps....

There are some companies that could supply chandlers with products but there is no way of telling if they have what you want with them.

I have yet to run across anyone at Market Square, or the Marts in either Atlanta, Columbus or Chicago that offer any bulk candlemaking supplies like wax, wicks, FOs, additives or dyes. There are some Yaley sales reps but the products are packaged for re-sale; too expensive for us to buy and make our candles with.

They may have some accessories like trimmers or melters. And there is usually at least one offering a container or two you could pour in ~ but then the minimum dollar amout to place an order kicks in. The order writers usually do not offer a shipping estimate like you find on some websites ... and it can be quite high. (Like high enough that if you would have known how much it was when the order was written you would never have gotten it in the first place!)

Have you ever visited any suppliers? Not familiar with any company other than Fillmore - and their showroom is quite small. Great place to visit if you were coming to the Lancaster area anyway but not a destination in itself.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

Judy I havent visited any suppliers yet but I am going to make a trip with the husband to Candlewic. I dont live in PA but do live in NY approx 90 miles northwest of NYC. Candlewic is about 2 1/2 hours away from me and I've placed many orders with them already and its been very easy and shipping is 1-2 days. We also go to the poconos frequently and stop at the candle shops everytime. Now that I am starting this wonderful journey I will look at things differently when I go. SKS bottles is only 70 miles away but I cannot purchase and pickup. They will only ship product and dont have a showroom. I dont mind shopping online but if I can smell FO's and see products in person I will.

Tina