leaking Presto spout

Brat

I had mold sealer wrapped around the spout to help prevent leaks, but there's a little tiny mountain of wax starting to grow right underneath where it screws into the pot. Any ideas on how to seal that up? It gets pretty warm right there... thanks for any help!

I had mold sealer wrapped around the spout to help prevent leaks, but there's a little tiny mountain of wax starting to grow right underneath where it screws into the pot. Any ideas on how to seal that up? It gets pretty warm right there... thanks for any help!

There is some tape you can use. It is like metal tape or something. My uncle said it is silver. That should stop the leak. He is a welder so he welded mine, but it leaks a bit anyway. I just never got around to taping it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did seal it on the outside and it peeled right off when I turned it on and wax dripped out. It peeled right off due to the teflon surface that may need to be sanded off possibly?

I dont know, when I put it on, i put water in it and filled it halfway, then let it sit overnight and nothing, so I decided it was good to go, turned it on, melte the wax and poof, off it peeled. Let me know if you guys think sanding off the teflon or non slip coating will be beneficial.

Thanks

Yes...sanding will help. Any smooth surface should be roughed up to help just about anything adhere. I sanded/scratched mine before using the JB weld, no probs.

Well, I did sprout a small leak after a couple years, but I hadn't roughed it up when I did it initially. Removed what I could, sanded, re-applied, back-in-business.

If the JB Weld fails, you might try some blue silicone gasket sealer. Either way, any wax residue might keep your sealant from adhereing. I'm not sure about the teflon, but I'd guess it would inhibit any sealant from adhering.

Also, if your spigot is threaded, teflon tape should be used on the threads. It's about $1 a roll in the plumbing supply section of any home improvement store.