Packages arrived! Questions about math...FO%

I ordered 2 10lb slabs of wax. One pound is 16oz. in weight. We got 1oz. samples (our first venture, samples are awesome). My question is...

Is oz. Equal in wax vs FO? When a wax says up to (but no more) than 5%, how does one figure the math? Is that like half an oz per pound?

Yes, this is an extremely easy question to answer, but I suck at math...

Here's the math the way I figure it:

16 oz wax + 1 oz FO = 17 oz total

1 ounce is 1/17 of the total weight.

So divide 1 by 17 and you get 5.088% which is the pecentage of oil contained in the total weight of the scented wax.

Some oil will cling to the inside of the bottle ... I wouldn't worry about it and use the whole ounce. You should be fine.

The way Wessex is calculating is probably 1 ounce divided by 16 which is 6.25%. 5% of 16 would equal out to .8oz. It may be best to call the supplier and find out which method they advise you to use.

Edited by Judy, USMC

I use this formula, as I tend to start with some amount of wax an want to know how much FO to add to get a desired percentage:

FO = P*Wax / (1-P)

e.g. for 5% add (0.05*Wax)/0.95

Rework a bit if you want to compute based on total weight of wax+FO, but it's not that far off, and I usually weigh out wax first and then add however much FO.

Units have to be the same, and it's a pain that additives are usually in grams and wax in pounds. I convert and do the math in grams because that's what my glassware is marked in (1ml is close to 1g, exact for water, a bit off for FO). TBS and TSP have no exact conversions, you just have to see what a TBS of whatever it is actually weighs using a precision scale if you want to get to percentage measurements.

When making single 8oz candles with some additives where 1-2g is all that's needed, 'spoons just won't cut it.