Help with tins

I am making and testing some 2 oz tins. I use a 50/50 wax,scent 1oz per pound and a eco 1 wick no color. Well I ike to power burn my candles when I test them to make sure they burn good. I have noticed that If I burn these 3 to 4 hours or more the tin gets hot. :( I have tried almost every size wick and type of wick for these tins and they still get hot. I was thinking maybe I should put a warning on them not to burn for more than 4 hours. What do you think?

I would definitely put a warning on letting them know the container will get hot.. I've sold candles and people tell me the glass gets hot. DAH! People. Burn it for a long time, flame, glass, gonna get hot... :shocked2:

I've burned tins and they do get hot, so I think a warning about this and maybe mention it if you are physically doing the sale.

Good Luck and have a great day!

Theresa

2 oz. tins are very small. An Eco 1 (if I am reading your post correctly) may not be right for this application. How hot is hot? Too hot to handle? Hot enough to cause damage to a finished wood surface? How much wax is left in the container after burning continuously for 4 hours? Is it completely liquid?

I was thinking maybe I should put a warning on them not to burn for more than 4 hours. What do you think?

Putting a warning label on candles is required by law; however, it will not protect you from a lawsuit should your tin catch fire, burn someone or damage their property. You need product liability insurance for that.

Even when powerburned, a container candle should not become too hot to handle. If yours are becoming that hot, I suggest you keep on testing to find a more appropriate wick or switch to a larger size tin.

I think a warning about this and maybe mention it if you are physically doing the sale.

I hope that the OP is not selling these at this point!

2 oz. tins are very small. An Eco 1 (if I am reading your post correctly) may not be right for this application. How hot is hot? Too hot to handle? Hot enough to cause damage to a finished wood surface? How much wax is left in the container after burning continuously for 4 hours? Is it completely liquid?

Putting a warning label on candles is required by law; however, it will not protect you from a lawsuit should your tin catch fire, burn someone or damage their property. You need product liability insurance for that.

Even when powerburned, a container candle should not become too hot to handle. If yours are becoming that hot, I suggest you keep on testing to find a more appropriate wick or switch to a larger size tin.

I hope that the OP is not selling these at this point!

Thanks stella I will keep retesting until I find the right wick. I woulden't even concider selling these until they are burning they way they are supose to LOL. They do get very hot almost non touchable. So I guess I will keep tring until I find the right wick for these tins or change the size of the tin to a bigger one. Oh and I do have insurance. :cheesy2:

Some people drive me insane with the lawsuit insurance thing.
Would you prefer one not mention it? It's a fact of life, unfortunately, that cannot be ignored... Since I had no idea of whether Dolphin146 does or does not carry insurance (and also realize that newbs may be reading), I thought it was worth a mention. If it drives you crazy, you can ignore my reply. ;)
Why not use the 2 ounce tins for wickless instead
I think that's a great suggestion. I second that notion. :)
So I guess I will keep tring until I find the right wick for these tins or change the size of the tin to a bigger one. Oh and I do have insurance.

I can understand the appeal of the little tins - I just love little bitty stuff like that and it's good to have smaller, less expensive products in one's line to boost total sales revenue.

Glad you have insurance! So many folks don't understand how important it is! :)

Edited by Stella1952

Stella I learned a long time ago to get insurance. You just never know what can happen. I thought about doing wickless with these but decided I would like to use them as party favors. I have ordered several new wicks to try out. I am a very stubborn person and I am determand to figure these out. :cheesy2:

Just for your consideration, CS has a .2 and .5 ECO wicks on a spool in their clearance section for cheap. If the ECO 1 is too large, maybe the .5 will be what you need. HTH!

Thanks :cheesy2: I saw that. I need to look around first and see If I can buy them else were so when CS runs out I can still get them.