I am curious, How do you all test your container candles?

I know the process of testing, but what I am asking is what is your setup. How many candles do you test at one time? How far apart do you keep them? Do you test the melt pool and the scent throw separately or at the same time? Would love some input on this. I have been making 1 scent in 1 size container, then using 2-4 different wicks. Then when testing I light them at the same time in different rooms. I have been doing this with about 4 sets at a time. I have a small condo and really need a faster set up. Any advice or ideas.

This is how I started comparing the throw ~ and it works if you are dealing with one FO. Doing it this way you could make the variation of wicks in 4 different aromas (one for each room.)

http://www.candletech.com/general-information/comparing-scent-throw/ . I found it by scrolling through the General Information section of the Candletech Links in the left corner of the page.

HTH

what is your setup
I don't really have a "set up." I have a form I fill out that sits under or near the candle I am testing. I choose a draft-free location away from high traffic areas in my home. I don't test large candles in small rooms nor small candles in large rooms. I test outside on my porch sometimes.
How many candles do you test at one time?
No more than 2-3 and not in the same room, unless I am testing unscented candles.
How far apart do you keep them?
When I am testing, there usually isn't another candle in the same room. It depends on what I am testing and why. If I am testing a new wax without fragrance, then I may test several at one time. I place them at least a foot apart.
Do you test the melt pool and the scent throw separately or at the same time?
I don't test the melt pool by itself. Measuring the width and depth of the MP is part of wick testing. I test the wick and the throw at the same time - the candle is a system. If it burns great but the HT sucks, then I have to keep on testing. If the HT is great but it burns badly, I have to keep on testing. If I am testing to verify a new batch of FO or wax, I usually do not perform as tedious of testing as I do when I am testing a new wax, new container, etc.
I have a small condo and really need a faster set up
Testing is time consuming. There really isn't a "fast" way to test.

There's a lot of information and responses about testing in the thread below in the General Candlemaking forum that you may (or may not) find helpful. :)

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95865

I test the formula I intend to sell. Since I don't sell unscented candles, there's no point in testing without FO.

I also don't make citronella candles, so porch testing wouldn't make much sense for me.

I have a 2200 sq ft house with a large bathroom off the hall, pretty much smack in the middle of the house. I test one scent at a time, in that bathroom. I judge the throw on a 1-10 scale on how far through the house the scent travels in all directions and how strong it is throughout the other parts of the house.

Sometimes when testers are roughly half burned and I know the throw is good enough to put on the market, I'll burn up to 3 of them as far from each other as possible and still be in the house, just to make sure they burn properly to the bottom.

Testing is expensive and time consuming with a huge amount of waste. That's the nature of the beast.

As I am new to testing too, I made testers in quantity trying to choose the best combo (jar, wax, wick and FO). I too have a fairly large square ft home, so I test with one candle in each room (primarily the bathroom, living room and sitting room).

I took someone's advice (I believe it was Stella) who suggested using index cards for notes and I use colored 4x6 cards. Each wax/wick combo has it's own colored card. I write down the time I lit the tester, wick and wax characteristics, melt pool and hot throw. I check on the tester periodically and write down any changes. I've been testing 4oz'ers the past couple days, so my burn time tests have been no more than 2 hours at a time.

My testers range from 4oz to 12oz jars, as I'm trying to decide which container is going to work best for me and I'm testing 2 different types of container wax (464 vs Advanced Soy). I'm also testing wicks with each wax to find the right combination that gives me the best results. Each batch of testers are uncolored and scented with the same FO.

Yeah it's time consuming but really, in the end, it makes this all worth it.

PAGirl, that gives me a headache just thinking about. It's really not that hard. You're making it much more difficult than it really is.

You'd save yourself a lot of grief (and money) by simply deciding on a couple of containers. If you're beginning, one container would be best. I've never heard of choosing containers based on test results. You choose FO based on test results, but not containers. Just test in one or two containers (to start). Fool around with wicking as much as you can stand, and after 3 or 4 tries, if it doesn't work, discard the FO, but keep the container for something that does work.

You'd also be much ahead of the game picking a single container wax and sticking with it.

All those cards.....that would last about 10 minutes in my house. I figure God invented Works on computers for a reason.

Of course I'm assuming you eventually want to sell, if you're not already. If you're making candles for your own personal enjoyment, disregard everything I said and consider it an expensive hobby.

Seriously, your method makes me dizzy.

It made me dizzy too.

After the last couple days of testing, I'm still not satisfied with the wicks I'm using. Jars and wax have been decided on, but the wicks I've been testing with the 464 wax aren't working very well. I have a couple testers I'll burn tomorrow with larger wicks, maybe I just needed to wick up. We'll see how it goes.

I also don't make citronella candles, so porch testing wouldn't make much sense for me.

I don't make citronella candles either, but I love to use my candles as porch lights and for ambiance because it's a pleasing place to hang out. I wish everyone had a nice porch like mine to enjoy.

Seriously, your method makes me dizzy.
So stick to what works for you. ;)

Different people use different recordkeeping methods for their testing. Some folks do the bare minimum when testing; others do a very thorough job. What matters is that, in the end, people find what they are looking for in their testing (more data is better than not enough) and that their method of recording and storing data works for them. Some folks are comfortable with electronic everything. Others still actually write and use things like card files and address books. To each his/her own.

Hang in there PAgirl! As you test, things will start making some sense. You'll begin to see predictable patterns. Your testing won't always need to be so extensive as a result of the hard work you are doing now. Good luck! :)

PS Give your brain a break and have a Happy New Year's Eve! :D

Edited by Stella1952

Hang in there PAgirl! As you test, things will start making some sense. You'll begin to see predictable patterns. Your testing won't always need to be so extensive as a result of the hard work you are doing now. Good luck! :)

PS Give your brain a break and have a Happy New Year's Eve! :D

Thanks Stella!

Reading up on the wicks I'm using really helps with knowing how the wick performs and what kind of traits they have. I'm going to test till I'm satisfied.

Happy New Year to all of you!