Scorched wax???

Good morning! I think I screwed up a BIG batch of wax :embarasse

I switched out a pot I had some J50 in, and loaded it with my MC soy. I typically heat a pot of wax, and when I have the temp dialed in just right, I leave it on 24/7. I have been doing enough testing and acutal production to leave it on. Anyway, I just decanted a couple of lbs in my pour pot and notices the wax was an amber color. I just loaded another pot last night, and it did not look the same color, it was much lighter colored. I stuck my thermometers in the pots, and discovered the one pot was at 210! :shocked2: Then I realized it was the pot I had the J50 in, and I forgot to recalibrate the temp control!

I just added 2 oz of FO to the wax. I hate to waste tht FO, or the whole pot of wax, but have I scorched the wax beyond recognition? Is it useable, or should I scrap it for firestarters? TIA

the blonde geek

I agree - it's not advisable to use it anymore.

I never let my wax get above 200 degrees or it starts to turn funky. High temps for a short time are one thing, but held at temps that high, I believe it does actually change the composition of the oils. I have tested batches that have gotten that high and held high temps for a while. The wax was grainy and smelled aweful, had a burned GREASY smell!

JMO - but HTH

Abbie:-)

Thanks for the quick replies! I just mixed some up from my other pot, and there is a big color difference! I won't use it for selling ( I was pouring a fundraiser order ) but in your opinion could I use the wax for wick testing? I hate wasting it all, it was about eight lbs of wax. I definitely won't use it for an order.

thanks again! geek

Thanks for the quick replies! I just mixed some up from my other pot, and there is a big color difference! I won't use it for selling ( I was pouring a fundraiser order ) but in your opinion could I use the wax for wick testing? I hate wasting it all, it was about eight lbs of wax. I definitely won't use it for an order.

thanks again! geek

I don't know. Maybe pour a little of both and see how the burn compares.

I have gotten the wax up to 200 before. The one thing that I notice is that it tends to get a lot of air bubbles, the hotter it gets. Which is a PITA when it sets up and you have to heat gun the top. But I have never had any burning issues with it. Since your talking about 210, that could be a whole different thing.