Making good progress...still have a couple questions.

Hi gang!

I am about a year into making soy candles and am having good succcess for 1) a guy with no craft skills 2) someone with zero experience with wax, etc! Pretty happy so far. I have picked up most of what I know from this site and a few others and have been fortunate to not burn the house down and also make candles that just about all that have seen / smeeled them really enjoy. I have a good # of people asking to buy more and even have a small store locally asking to carry them. I am working on name, labels, website etc. I do have a few questions about some things...I am learning a bit by trial and error, that is ok too. Thanks in advance!

I currently use a Hamilton Beach turkey roaster to melt my wax and melt about 4-7 lbs at a time. Seems like a little overkill to use this big roaster to melt wax...has anyone found good success using something smaller?

I am using mostly Libbey Interlude 12oz jars. I have found the cheapest place to buy them is Lone Star Candle Co..they are about $.87 a piece before shipping. Anyone know if you can buy bulk or wholesale directly from a company like Libbey?

I have been using C3 soy wax but amd going to try GB 464 this week. I keep reading varying things about melt temp, pour temp and when to add FO. Any definitive feedback on this? For a long time I was heating to 180 degrees then adding FO, stir for 2 min, add dye and stir for another 2 min. Then take off heat and stir every 10 degrees until temp reached 112 then pour into pour pot and then into jars. Cure for 24 hours before burning. I always use 1.5 oz PP. Smell and burn were great, but my tops were always a tad bubbly so I read on here to try pouring around 150 degress. I did this and the tops were super smooth but they all have a caving crater or sinkhole the next day. I am going to try to avoid this happening with the GB 464. I read that the melt point with the 464 is much lower and ideal pour temp is 135 degress.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks again!!

Brian

http://roadtoredemption.weebly.com/

Hi Brian,

Just came from visiting your blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your son! We just went through a similar situation with our first grandson. Stillborn at full-term with 6 nuchal cords! We were heartbroken as well as our daughter & husband. I understand a little what you have been through there. I'm not familiar with IM but sounds like you did fantastic. Congratulations!

As for melting wax many of us use a Presto Kitchen Kettle found a Walmart or pretty much anywhere. They work great, melt wax fast. Just be sure to keep a careful eye on your thermometer and stir often. I don't use 100% soy so won't comment on your concerns with that.

As for jars you can look here https://www.earlyamericancandlesupplies.com/glass/12-oz-medium-interlude-jar/prod_665.html It don't look like you'll save much there.

There is alot of info here on 464 and C3. I just wondering tho, if you've worked with C3 for a year and everyone likes your candles, if you want to throw a years worth of testing out the window. Your going to have issues with 464 as well. You may want to read as much as you can here before you make that move, just saying. I think you'll find in your searching that your rough tops and crator/sinkholes have to do with temperature; Ambient, pouring, & cooling. There are expert soy chandlers here. I'm gonna let them chime in now!

Hi Brian,

Wow, I just read your story on your website. I am so very sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine. I do want to say congratulations on quite an accomplishment. You completed physically what very few can, so you should hold your head up high on that achievement. Truly inspiring!

I agree with Green in that I would do some research before switching wax. A lot of what you mention seems to be characteristic of soy wax so maybe those that have used C3 and 464 can give you some advice first.

And I have to say, I am wondering how you made the leap from athlete to candle maker. Looking forward to that story next!

Thank you both for the kind words.

I have learned that triathlons are easy compared to making a great candle. :) I think I decided to try candle making after watching my wife buy soy candles everytime we went to Cracker Barrell. I have been pretty pleased with the candles and how they are turning out. I decided to try the GB 464 since I have read good things about it. I also went ahead and decided to switch from the double boiler to the presto pot. There is a lot of varying info about temps, etc so I tried to use what I saw most often. I started with only 1 lb of wax and 1.5 oz of a sampler FO. Plan was to heat wax up to 185 degress, adding dye at 160, fragrance at 185 then remove from heat and stir a bit until it cools to 120 and pour. The issue was that the wax melted so fast and was at 200 degrees in less than 3 min. Granted it was only 1 lb but wow that was fast. I barely had time to add frangrance and dye!! I unplugged right away and let it cool and poured at 120. Few hours later the results were not pretty. Pay no attention to the color..these were testers for home use only =)

4642.jpg

4641.jpg

Any idea what went wrong? Thanks in advance :smiley2:

Brian