Help for a newbie...

Hi,

My name is Sonya and I just started trying to make soy candles. I am using Golden Brands 444 soy wax.

I am heating my wax to 185, adding my dye chip, my 1 oz fragrance oil, and then pouring into pre-warmed 8 oz mason jars...

My problem is that when they dry, it looks very grainy on top. Even when they are a little wet, if you run your finger over it, it feels just as grainy as it looks. :confused:

Can someone please advise me as to what I am doing wrong? I ordered all my supplies from CandleScience.

Thank you in advance for any responses... I look foward to getting to know everyone and hopefully one day can help someone else..

I don't do soy (yet LOL), so can't give you specific advise. But I believe most soy should be poured at around 100-110 degrees, the cloudy or slushy stage. You might want to use the search feature on the top navigation bar, I believe there is alot of info on this subject. Just put a phrase in the search box, with quotation marks around it. Should be able to get good info that way.

Hope this Helps.

Steve

I have had some that I had to heat gun a couple of times but they eventually came out smooth. I don't know about using a lighter instead of a heat gun. I tried my blow dryer the first time and immediately went on the hunt for a heat gun after me and my cabinets became covered in wax.

What is your room temp? Try to make sure sure room is warm- upper 70's and after you heat the tops, cover them with a box or put them in a 170 degree oven and turn the oven off to cool.

I tried something a little different the other night and my candles came out beautiful.

I had my oven heated to 170. After I poured my candles into my pre-warmed jars, I put them back in the oven and then turned the oven off so they would cool down slowly.

A few hours later, I looked through the window and saw they were starting to cool just around the edges and the centers were still liquid. I think this uneven cooling is where the bulk of the problems with set-up occurs so I turned my oven back on to heat to 170 for a few minutes then turned the oven back off.

All of my candles came out with smooth and creamy tops.