What soy wax is better?

Hello,

I have been making candles as a hobby for quite sometime now, however am not getting a good hot throw that I would like to get. I was using Ecosoya CB Advanced Soy Wax from Candle Science. I thought maybe that it was the wax that was no good, so I changed to Golden Brands 464 Soy Wax.

My melting temp is 175 degrees and then I add the fragrance at 135. My pouring tem is 100. And I use Hemp Wicks 60048 from Natures Garden. Also, I use 1.5oz of fragrance per pound. I did use 1oz. 2oz of fragrance was too much.

My question is, what could I be doing wrong that some scents of mine are not producing a hot throw? Some scents I can smell, but not as strong as I would like. :( Are there scents that do not perform well in Soy and others do? And what Soy Waxes perform better than the ones I am currently using?

Thanks

There is no answer to this.. everyone likes their wax for one reason or another. I personally like my GB464 for many reasons, one important one being the availability, the price, and the fact that im very comfortable with it...

There are some other great ones to try... you could also try a soy-paraffin blend, that could help with some of the throw issues if you are not opposed to the idea.

Some FO's are just not as good as others.. for every three I test, only one is a "winner". Some need more PP, some less... Have you tried other wicks? Sometimes throw is a wicking issue.

I am using 3oz Colonial Jars. Where do you get your 464/xcel 70/30 wax? And, forgive me, but what do you mean by cloudiness? I heard some people poure until the wax is thick, but my wax has never gotten thick even at 100 degrees.

Edited by Kristin2011

Hi! I believe I may have a few suggestions for you to try. First of all if you are using a 3 oz container I imagine that it's a small jar. The ECO 14 wicks for for 3-3.5 diameter containers (it may be that your wick is too large and burning off the FO) I just went through this myself. Try the ECO 10 or ECO 8 wic depending on the diameter of your container. If you go to the candle science website they have a wick guide and you can put in what wax you are using and select the diameter of your container and it will give you some wick options. Also I add my FO at 185. I think adding the FO at the higher temp helps the FO to bind with the wax. Anyways just two suggestions that might help. Let us know how it turns out!

Try the ECO 10 or ECO 8 wic depending on the diameter of your container. If you go to the candle science website they have a wick guide and you can put in what wax you are using and select the diameter of your container and it will give you some wick options.

Here's the link to the guide: http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

And make sure that when you measure the diameter you measure the INSIDE diameter of the container. You may be overwicked ...

Let us know what they recommend.

I think Becca is right. I was on a hemp wick thing and ordered them, but never used em got warned early on about the mushroom. I probably should have tried them anyway but, I listened and never looked back. Now I use only CD's and am happy.

Also I have a FO I love and did everything to get it to throw in soy:laugh2:no way. So I made a palm (starburst) tarts and votives WOW knocked my socks off. I put the tart in my burner. Haven't burned the votives yet, but some fo will not throw good in soy.