Convection Hot Air Melters

I want to buy a larger melter. I don't want one that has a bottom heating element (like Prestos or Turkey fryers) because of their on/off elements melting the wax with much higher temps than I desire. I've read up on water jacketed melters and hot air melters because they surround the wax with precise heat, so no hot spots from bottom elements. I like the idea of heating the wax at a lower temp even if it takes a little longer. It seems like the hot air style makes a lot of sense, given that the water jacketed type have to be monitored closely for the water level.

The ones I've been looking at are by Wenesco...

http://wenesco.com/wax2.htm

Does anyone use a Wenesco (or other) convection hot air melter? How do you like it? Pros and cons, please... Does anyone know of other brands of hot air melters?

I LOVE my WJ melter. It is super easy to use and honestly keeping an eye on the water level has never been a problem. Even when I have it going 24/7 the water level barely moves. I just keep a 2lt soda bottle, that I washed out well, next to it filled with water to use to refill it as needed. I top it off about 1-2x a week, if that. Mine has the element in the bottom and the fill hole for the water is near the top. I was told to just make sure that you can see the water level from the fill hole and you are all set to go. I have NEVER not been able to see it. At most it has dropped about an inch during heavy use but the sides are about 12"+ tall so it wasn't even close to being an issue. I have one of the big rectangular ones (slab style). I picked it up on Craigslist cheap. It had only been used 2-3x.

Edited by mparadise

My workshop is in the basement so it is fairly cool but damp so I have dehumidifiers running all the time. If I remember correctly it took 2-3+ gallons of water to fill it originally so it does have quite a bit in there. The hole is only about 3" across so the unit is fairly well sealed up so there really isn't much exposed water for it to evaporate from. I might be concerned if I ran it 24/7 for weeks on end without checking the level but otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned. Honestly I filled mine to the top of the fill area in late September and haven't had to add any water since. Granted I have only fired it up 3 days and did a major stock up but still the water level hasn't really moved, even with the dehumidifiers.

Edited by mparadise