Am I wrong?

Bernadette

I have a wedding planner that I do ALOT of work for since February of this year. In fact, it's in the high 4 figure sales. She placed some really big orders right before I shut down for two months(do every year and gave her a "heads up" that it would happen. She even called me several times during shutdown and asked if there was any chance I'd be back to work sooner because she tried several other online candle stores while I was shutdown and was very disappointed in the product. Well, since I've been back she's placed several orders, but here's the thing...the first order she placed was huge, but she placed it on a Tuesday and needed it by Saturday!!! I told her that the only way to get it to her in time was USPS Express. She was disappointed but agreed it was her fault and paid. She said she'd be calling me on Friday for orders she would need by the following Saturday. Okay...that's enough time. Well, I sent the first order, but she didn't pay for it. So I called her on Friday. She paid within the hour. She never called on Friday...she waited until yesterday. I told her the order would be loaded by last night so she could place it. It's big, and I have to jump thru some hoops to get it ready by tomorrow to be able to ship priority mail. She still hasn't placed the order again, which means it isn't paid for. This is the second time now within a week that I think I'm going to have to call her. She's a good customer, but she has always paid before I ship and I don't want to set a precedent by doing this. I give enough special treatment, and feel like she's taking advantage of the situation. Am I wrong? I don't think so, but if I am, I'd like to hear why. TIA:tiptoe:

That's a tough one. I for one would be thrilled with the large repeating orders and would probably just continue to work with her on it because I wouldn't be able to turn it down. Could you maybe offer her a small percentage discount like 5% off if she gives you more than 1 week notice? Maybe that would make her get her ducks in a row and give you more time. 1 week or less is such a short time to get things together, I would not be happy she was doing this to me. I would keep trying to get her to give you more notice.

Definitely don't ship before she pays even if it won't get there on time, that's her problem. I know she's always paid but there's a first time for everything:)

We have another business (not candle related) that involves custom items. We have a repeat local customer that has done similar things-like asking if we can have an order that usually takes a week done in 2 or 3 days (we had to decline, we special order one of the items we use for them as it isn't something we carry and we don't have room to stock their quantity). She was ok with it but still cuts it close on orders. We do require that she pays before we start the work or even order the one supply we don't stock, since it is completely custom (we couldn't resell it if she renigged for some reason). I would gently remind her of your policies on payment and lead times, and make sure she realizes that you can't ship until you receive payment which could lead to late deliveries. I am not sure as I don't do anything wedding related, I thought spring was crazy season for planners, but maybe she's been hit with an uptick in business and isn't really able to completely stay on top of it? I would certianly see if there was something you could work out with her to be sure things go smoothly and her orders continue to arrive in time-I wouldn't want to be her if they didn't!!! (bridezilla anyone, lol) I don't know your relationship with her or if business seems to be growing from her, but maybe mention (if it seems to be) that it looks like she's getting busier and if there is anything you can do to make sure things go smoothly and timely. Hopefully she would appreciate the gesture and it would also be a reminder that she's been cutting things close and you're noticing it...

Well...I called her around 3 pm my time and asked if there was any problem that she hadn't placed/paid the order. She said, "No...I had to take the dogs to the vet last night and totally forgot. I'm so spacey. Thanks for calling. I'll be home in about 45 min. and I'll place it then." And here it is 5:30pm and nothing!

I'm not going to ship tomorrow if she doesn't pay. This is the second order now that she places late and expects me to drop all my other customers for her to get them made and shipped before she places the order. No way.:tiptoe:

I would gently remind her or provide a brochure/contract with your policies. You should required a deposit at time of order to cover the cost of materials and supplies, with the balance due at shipping.

I'm wondering though, if she pays you, perhaps she has to get the $$$ from the bride/couple first.

Customers like that? Been there, done that, and burned the t-shirt! I'm all about "bending" a little for the customer, but not "bending over"!!!!

It's no different than raising children. If you don't make rules and STICK TO THEM, they'll run all over you. She does it because you allow her to. If you make her order late one time because SHE didn't follow the rules, I'd be willing to be it won't happen again...especially considering she likes your stuff the best ;)

I had a wholesale customer similar to this. I did centerpieces in beer mugs for two sports bars. Anyway, shipping alone because of the weight of the mugs was in the hundreds. I did a 30day invoice for them and after about their third order 30 turned into 60....then 90 :mad: All during that time I was eating the cost of shipping let alone the cost of materials and my time. I finally enforced a 50% down at the time of ordering and they jumped ship :sad2: But in the end.....I should have enforced the 50% down policy in the beginning of my business with them and all the headache could have been avoided. Kind of like the saying "Once the horse is out of the barn....":laugh2:

I don't think you're wrong at all and I would gently remind her your policy. It's no different for than if a bridezilla changed her color scheme 10 days before the wedding and expected her to have everything switched...including gowns:rolleyes2

Well...as of 4 am she still hadn't placed the order!!!:angry2: So I sent an email telling her that her order would not ship today and that if she still wanted the candles they would have to ship Express mail. I reminded her that I already discount the candles she orders by 33% for ONLY her, but I cannot continue to take orders far short of leadtime, drop everything else to get them made, and then wait for payment. I told her I would understand if she didn't want the candles. (I knew she did...where else is she going to get 170 purple candles at this late date?)

As usual, I didn't hear anything from her. So I called her. I told her if she would give me her CC, I would get them out today for her. I know she saw the email...I could hear embarassment in her voice. So she gave me her CC info, and from now on, I'll get paid the day she places an order.

That's if I take it. I made it clear that she has to give more than 6 days or less notification to get them in time. Once in awhile, maybe, but it's not fair to other customers to have their orders pushed back for a "come lately". At least I got paid for this order.:yay:

I am fully aware. My web store provider stores the CC #s. I don't. They follow all the new rules that went thru a few months back about storing CC#s. The only thing they don't store is the security code on the back. I have written authorization from the customers that call their orders in to use such and such a card, and they are customers that routinely place orders.

Edited by Bernadette

I can't think of the acronym for the laws governing this right now, but those that keep CC numbers on file, please look into the legalities and laws that govern it. I know there are laws that cover how they are stored, etc.

You're referring to PCI DSS, and it's not a law but does stipulate criteria for safeguarding cc data.

Of particular note is the CVV number security however in the case where you keep repeat

customer cc data on file there's no need for a CVV code once an initial charge is done.