Cracks in wax in my clamshells

staysee

I just started making wickless melts and pouring into clamshells. This is my first time making candles in about 12 or so years. In my first batch, I used straight Ecosoya PB (heated to 175, added color & FO, poured around 140). I let them sit until they were hard and then closed the lids. The next morning I opened one to smell it and it developed a crack around 1 of the cavities. I read on here that some of you mix your PB with CB-135 to help harden it up, so I ordered some and received it today.

In my 2nd batch I used 75% PB and 25% CB-135 (heated to about 180, added color & FO, and poured around 140). I let them sit for about 6 hours open and then went to close the lids and OMG...cracks like crazy after closing them! What could I be doing wrong? Should I do a 50/50 mixture instead of 75/25? Any suggestions would be great, as I can't really find a ton of info about mixing the two waxes. Thanks so much to anyone who can help me!

I am using 75% Ecosoya PB and 25% GB 464 and let the wax cure almost 24 hours before closing lids but the lids are kinda of tricky as some don't close perfectly without a little gentle guidance. I will try the Ecosoya PB/135 mix also since almost out of GB464 and let ya know what happens.

I am using 75% Ecosoya PB and 25% GB 464 and let the wax cure almost 24 hours before closing lids but the lids are kinda of tricky as some don't close perfectly without a little gentle guidance. I will try the Ecosoya PB/135 mix also since almost out of GB464 and let ya know what happens.

That would be awesome!! Thank you! I knew I shoulda kept my paws off of them for longer...!!

That would be awesome!! Thank you! I knew I shoulda kept my paws off of them for longer...!!

Just opened a new bag of CB135 and a little concerned. It has bright white flakes mixed in with the normal soy colored? Scared to waste my FO and containers but going to try one batch.

Been using the 135/PB blend for years and only developed some cracks in ones that were shipped. But then again I always fill them almost to overflowing. I think that if there is only a thin layer of wax over the compartment divider they will more easily crack.

I also close my lid when the clamshell is on the table. HTH

Been using the 135/PB blend for years and only developed some cracks in ones that were shipped. But then again I always fill them almost to overflowing. I think that if there is only a thin layer of wax over the compartment divider they will more easily crack.

Just got finished with the batch of 75/25 and closed the lids once they set up. I also fill mine to overflowing so havent had cracks. Will see tomorrow if mix makes the difference. Still wondering about the CB135 10% extremely white flakes.....will look at other threads.

Edited by Shewill5

oops (meant ecosoya pb with CB135 mix)

Thanks Judy! I wonder if maybe I'm not filling them full enough then? That makes total sense about them cracking from just a thin layer. I just looked at them again and there's about 1/8" difference between the top (of the 6-cavity compartment) and the top of the wax. I didn't realize I was doing this, so I think I'll try another batch and fill them to almost overflowing and see if it happens again and go from there. I'll try to do it today and post my results. Thanks again!

Just got finished with the batch of 75/25 and closed the lids once they set up. I also fill mine to overflowing so havent had cracks. Will see tomorrow if mix makes the difference. Still wondering about the CB135 10% extremely white flakes.....will look at other threads.

Oh no! I hope I didn't cause you to waste if you got bad wax! :( I just looked at my bag of CB135 and it looks normal to me...no extremely white flakes. I hope you didn't get a bad bag! I am going to hopefully try another batch today and fill them to almost overflowing (didn't realize I wasn't filling them all the way up), and I'll post my results. Thanks so much for all your help!

Okay, results are in......two of 8 are cracked around one cube. It doesn't really look bad but am going to try to fix with a blowdryer on low setting to see what happens. I think I might use a little IGI 4633 in the next batch to see if this makes the final product less brittle.

Okay, results are in......two of 8 are cracked around one cube. It doesn't really look bad but am going to try to fix with a blowdryer on low setting to see what happens. I think I might use a little IGI 4633 in the next batch to see if this makes the final product less brittle.

:( Shoot. I'm not even sure if a blow dryer will help mine. It seems like once they start cracking, they just keep on. I just got done making 2 more batches. I made sure to fill them up full! I'm not touching them or even looking at them until tomorrow!! I left the lids open and will close them after letting them sit for about 24 hours. Did you figure out what's up with the white flakes in your wax?

What temperature are you pouring them at? This is really curious to me. Are they in a drafty area? Are you using ones manufactured by Impact (fairly thick plastic and hold 2.8 oz) or the ones from Mill Creek (little on the thinner side and have an oval indent in the bottom of each cube?)

Have you tried backing the CB down to 20% ? Or maybe go a little harder with a little bit of beeswax? Sorry for all the questions but this is stumping me.

What temperature are you pouring them at? This is really curious to me. Are they in a drafty area? Are you using ones manufactured by Impact (fairly thick plastic and hold 2.8 oz) or the ones from Mill Creek (little on the thinner side and have an oval indent in the bottom of each cube?)

Have you tried backing the CB down to 20% ? Or maybe go a little harder with a little bit of beeswax? Sorry for all the questions but this is stumping me.

I am pouring mine at 140. The clamshells I'm using are these http://newcart.candlesandsupplies.com/Store/Products/Candles/PID-CLAM-6T.aspx from Candles and Supplies. I am going to see how these 2 batches I did tonight turn out when I go to close them tomorrow and then I'll post results. They smell absolutely delicious and I'm going batty keeping myself from touching them!!

If you're not opposed to blending with paraffin, I really liked the tarts I made with 70% PB and 30% 4627 which is a soft paraffin that throws like the bomb. It also allows you to color them darker without frosting.

If you want to stay all soy, I'd try blending the PB with a softer soy, like 464 50/50. I just think the PB by itself is too brittle. JMPO

Staysee - Those clamshells look exactly like the ones I use. I'm pouring about 160. I do let them setup overnight and close them the next morning. I certainly hope this is not a case of 2 people getting different results! Looking forward to your results.

Thanks, IwantItgreen! I will look into that if these don't work out! I agree that the PB alone is too brittle. The ones I've made so far are gorgeous and smell great so far, so I hope I don't have to switch waxes! Hehe.

Judy, I also hope this isn't the case! I just checked them after letting them sit all night and 2 from the first batch from last night have slight cracks at a couple corners of the whole big compartment, if that makes sense. Nothing scary at all like it was. There was only 1 from the last batch that had that. I closed 1 from each batch and no cracks!! So I'm crossing my fingers for the rest of them.

I'm going to let them sit a little longer because I'm paranoid - lol - but I will post my final results just in case someone else out there searches for this topic. :)

If you're not opposed to blending with paraffin, I really liked the tarts I made with 70% PB and 30% 4627 which is a soft paraffin that throws like the bomb. It also allows you to color them darker without frosting.

If you want to stay all soy, I'd try blending the PB with a softer soy, like 464 50/50. I just think the PB by itself is too brittle. JMPO

Yes, I agree. Ecosoya PB is very brittle. I used 50% Ecosoya PB, 30% CB135 and 20% IGI4633 and no cracks today. Ordering more GB464 so that I can try the gb464 50% to Ecosoya PB 50% recipe. Are we chemists? Whoever knew it could be so complicated :confused:

I am waiting for the vendor to call me back after they check their warehouse stock about the weird white flakes in the CB135. Hopefully, they will give me some credit on it.

Ok, here's the verdict as I promised -

It worked!!

Filling to almost overflowing + Letting them sit open for 20-24 hours to cure = Problem SOLVED!!

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice!! You all are the best!!! :)

Yay! This forum is awesome. :bow:

I am waiting for the vendor to call me back after they check their warehouse stock about the weird white flakes in the CB135. Hopefully, they will give me some credit on it.

I hope you can get it sorted out and that they will give you credit or something for it. Let us know what happens! I'm really curious!

I still haven't heard back from Lonestar but sent them pictures of the wax.

At Affair of the Heart today, there was a company selling 100% soy wax in clamshells. They had clear labels so you could see through their packaging. There were cracks in alot of packages and some of them had crack chunks coming out (possibly dropped). The company seemed to be selling them well despite this.

Back to the quest for better scent throw! :rolleyes2

Edited by Shewill5

I still haven't heard back from Lonestar but sent them pictures of the wax.

At Affair of the Heart today, there was a company selling 100% soy wax in clamshells. They had clear labels so you could see through their packaging. There were cracks in alot of packages and some of them had crack chunks coming out (possibly dropped). The company seemed to be selling them well despite this.

Back to the quest for better scent throw! :rolleyes2

Phooey on not hearing back from them! I hope you have by now.

Wow...that's surprising to me that they'd sell cracked ones so well. I don't think I'd buy something like that, but that's just me and I'm picky! lol.