Has anyone tried making a powder cleanser?

Reg

I've been checking out bare minerals a lot lately, and finding ideas that I want to try. I got a sample of their cleanser which was in a powdered form (you just mix it with water to use). I really liked how it worked on my skin, it really gets rid of the blackheads for me, and it's not drying. Did anyone ever make anything like that?

Here's a link to bare minerals one:

http://bareescentuals.com/RareMinerals%20Renew%20Reveal%20Facial%20Cleanser/42175,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=BE_CLEANSE

And it can double as a mask if you make it thicker consistency.

Any idea what key ingredients to use to make a basic formula?

hmm... well the first things that jumped out at me... kaolin clay as the first ingredient... rice starch (just a filler I'd think...).. tapioca starch.. same thing kinda (although I've seen that in other face masks)... sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).. citric acid.. canola oil?!?.. colloidal oatmeal...

I'd start with a mix of kaolin, baking soda, citric acid, and tapioca starch (you can get this from the healthfood store or in some large store's bulk sections)

Because this is intended for the face... maybe keep the citric to less than 10% (it could be harsh in levels over that), the baking soda to less than 15% (again, could be harsh), and go from there. It sounds like a bath bomb recipe almost. I have considered making a powdered cleanser, but thought about adding SLSA, for more "bubbles" because while citric will fizz, it wont "foam".

The ingredients look pretty nice and legit.. I add baking soda to my facial cleanser once a week to give my skin a nice brightening polish.

hmm... well the first things that jumped out at me... kaolin clay as the first ingredient... rice starch (just a filler I'd think...).. tapioca starch.. same thing kinda (although I've seen that in other face masks)... sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).. citric acid.. canola oil?!?.. colloidal oatmeal...

I'd start with a mix of kaolin, baking soda, citric acid, and tapioca starch (you can get this from the healthfood store or in some large store's bulk sections)

Because this is intended for the face... maybe keep the citric to less than 10% (it could be harsh in levels over that), the baking soda to less than 15% (again, could be harsh), and go from there. It sounds like a bath bomb recipe almost. I have considered making a powdered cleanser, but thought about adding SLSA, for more "bubbles" because while citric will fizz, it wont "foam".

The ingredients look pretty nice and legit.. I add baking soda to my facial cleanser once a week to give my skin a nice brightening polish.

Thank you for your reply!!!

Is tapioca starch a lot different then corn starch?

This seems like an overqualified Dry Mask mix to me.

If you search for Dry Masks you'll see that they are based

on clays with powdered goodies and powdered scrubbies

into the blend. An upside to the Dry Mask mix is that you can

mix with water OR honey, yogurt, milk, fruit or veg puree, juice

or any liquidish substance depending on your preferences.

Dry Masks can be thin and just a cleanser or thicker as well..

a mask.

I looove Dry mask mixes.

Here's one of my fave basic ones:

Pink Kaolin Clay 75%

powdered Coconut Milk 22%

powdered oatmeal 3%

I like adding honey, or pureed cucumbers or avocados to

mine for a facial. If just cleaning and exfoliating i add water.

Just a different outlook on it.

I agree that there are alot of fillers in the Bareminerals one.

This seems like an overqualified Dry Mask mix to me.

If you search for Dry Masks you'll see that they are based

on clays with powdered goodies and powdered scrubbies

into the blend. An upside to the Dry Mask mix is that you can

mix with water OR honey, yogurt, milk, fruit or veg puree, juice

or any liquidish substance depending on your preferences.

Dry Masks can be thin and just a cleanser or thicker as well..

a mask.

I looove Dry mask mixes.

Here's one of my fave basic ones:

Pink Kaolin Clay 75%

powdered Coconut Milk 22%

powdered oatmeal 3%

I like adding honey, or pureed cucumbers or avocados to

mine for a facial. If just cleaning and exfoliating i add water.

Just a different outlook on it.

I agree that there are alot of fillers in the Bareminerals one.

That sounds like a mini spa! I like the idea of adding fruit and veggies to it. I didn't even know that powdered coconut milk existed. Thank you!

I learned so much on this board, love it! :yay:

I was wondering how you would package a dry mask mix though. I was thinking a 2 oz jar with a small plastic scoop tied to the side with organza ribbon to make it pretty? I was thinking that baggies would make it look like something else...

any packaging advice?

I was wondering how you would package a dry mask mix though. I was thinking a 2 oz jar with a small plastic scoop tied to the side with organza ribbon to make it pretty? I was thinking that baggies would make it look like something else...

any packaging advice?

Weirdly enough Bare Escentuals has it in a plastic bottle, the kind you would put liquids in, see the link:

http://bareescentuals.com/RareMinerals%20Renew%20Reveal%20Facial%20Cleanser/42175,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=BE_CLEANSE

Their stuff is pretty "flowy", maybe that's why they had to put all the fillers in. But the jar with a small scoop sounds like a nice idea.

wow, that's expensive now that we can sort of make our own...

Yes, it is expensive, that's why I really wanted to make my own. So far I lived on samles (every time I went to Sephora, or BE boutiqe, I'd ask for a sample).

I often mix up something similar to use. I don't sell it, I just make it for myself and my daughters and I only make enough to use up in one go.

I use, french green clay, charcoal, kaolin clay, ground almonds (ground until they're almost powder).. sometimes ground oatmeal, ground adzuki beans.. whatever I have on hand.

I mix it up with either honey, plain yogurt or egg yolk, until it's mask consistency. Or sometimes just water to use as a scrub.

I also usually add a drop or two of tea tree and lavender essential oils.

It's pretty fun! :)