Day 1 of my first festival was today!

Wow, what a great post to read!!! I have been thinking about my pricing and after reading this I think I am even more confused!! LOL. We have been throwing around the idea of opening a retail store, very small and conservative. I have been scouting local competion, there isnt much, but also wondering if i needed to raise my prices now before I get into "business". But, then I am also thinking about getting some wholesale accts, and wonder how that would work. I think I should either get my own store or do wholesale accts, probably not both... I went to a festival today and saw the 8 oz jelly jars priced from $3.50 to $5, per jar. I charge $6 each or 4/$20 for mine, but I did notice that I have more money in my labels than those suppliers did. They didnt even have warning labels on them!! I have estimated that I have around 1.65 in each 8 oz jelly jar (6 oz fill). Thats great that you can sell your 10 oz jars for $5 and make money on them! I think next year we are also going to try to do some street fairs/festivals.

Candlenutz, I see you're doing the same thing I am--referring to the actual amount of "fill" in your jars. I use jars that are referred to as much larger than what they can actually contain; so in my product description I use the oz. that are truly in there, not what the jar can hold. Probably makes it look like I'm overpriced, but at least I'm trying to be honest I guess. I've also agonized over pricing and have finally wound up in an OK middle-of-the-road place where I'm not giving stuff away, but not expecting people to pay for a new, unproven name (being my company). Headache-inducing stuff.

... We have been throwing around the idea of opening a retail store, very small and conservative. ...

... and hopefully more then just candles. Business is tough these days as we all know and opening a store, even a small one, could get expensive. If it doesn't work out and you have a lease that could be a big problem. Good luck if you take that plunge.

If you have a decent mall nearby why not check into renting a kiosk for a few weeks and compare that to leasing regular retail space. The upside is the mall brings shoppers. The down side is that malls typically require you be open a certain number of hours which may be more then you're willing to do. Just a thought.