First show!!!

xanadu

...depends on the show... are you also accepting checks? cards?

rule of thumb is you should be able to handle taking LOTS of $20s.. its the most common way people pay, in my experience... and be able to handle taking a few $50's (not hard once you have $20's..)

I typically bring at least 5- 20's, 5 - 10's, 10 - 5's, and 20 1's. Also at least $5.00 in quarters, if you have that kind of change to deal with.

I round my prices to compensate for tax.. I pre calculate it into the cost, so I dont come up with any odd numbers. That way I only ever need quarters and not pennies, so on and so forth.

There are some shows I could get away with only bringing 1's and 5's as change. Other shows where people carry big bills and expect you to handle them.

My other tip is to wear a money apron, versus using a cash box. its much safer, and imo easier to manage.

I use a cash box just because it is easier for me to make change than digging through a money belt. I do not keep that much in the cash box. About 20-ones, 4- fives and 2- tens and my loose change. The rest gets put in my money belt and in a bag that I put one of my table legs through and kept under my table (I have a skirt so you would have to lift the skirt to see the bag.) I paperclip my ones, fives and tens together in my bundles so whenever I need some, I can just quickly grab one of those bundles and all methods of payments that people give me goes in my money belt (no matter if it is ones or fives). My cash box is also hidden and placed in a way that you would have to walk completly behind my display to get to.

I really hope that makes sense.

I usually have a minimum of 25 - 1's, 2 - 10's and about 8-10 - 5's. For a bigger show I have another $50-100 in 5's and an extra 25 - 1's tucked in my purse just in case I need them. I tend to carry more 5's than 10's because I can always give someone 2 5's but I can't give them 1/2 of a 10. I agree with the apron 100%. Much easier to keep track of at a show. Plus I put my ones in a pocket, change in another and 5's & 10's in the middle pocket with the 5's in front. Makes for fast making of change because I don't have to dig for it or pull out a whole wad of $$ to find what I am looking for, making myself a target for possible theft later. I just fold the 20's and any credit card slips I might have in half in the back of the change pocket to keep them out of the way.

This time of year I usually keep a show's worth of extra change in my desk drawer at home too so that if I am really stuck for change I can call my husband, son or best friend to grab it and bring it to me. Luckily I have only had to do this 1-2x in 6 years when I was at a new show and didn't anticipate the crowds well enough.

Thank you so much everyone for the relpies..

Guess my nerves got the best of me..

I love this forum.. Been lurking and learning lots..

Have tested and tested for 2.5 years so we are finally developed to a point to sell.. Always doing last minute perfecting..

Thanks to this group, I hope we all become successful in whatever path we choose..

I take roughly the same denominations as Luminous in my 'bum bag' and my daughter has the same in hers. It works for us, since if one runs out of certain notes, they can get them off the other. When I get home and tally up, I count out the float money and put it in the bum bag ready for the next market.

Oh and it annoys me when stall holders come up early in the day, asking to swap a $50 for some smaller notes!:angry2: