Calling all M & P experts

katshe

I melt 20 pounds at a time in my "double boiler method" using 2 nesting stock pots. Works perfectly! After it's melted, I color it and then I'm guaranteed "matched batched" which is a big, big deal to me :)

To cut the blocks ... I have a HUGE knife. I just hack it into big slices, and then cut the slices into chunks and fill the pot. As it melts, I add the rest till I know it's full. Takes maybe 30 minutes to melt the entire block.

Thanks ladies. I do the "hack into chunks" method too but would love to avoid that. I think it might be time to get the plumber in to put a utility sink in my basement workshop. I have thought about using my 75 lb WJ melter for it but DH won't let me bring that up to the kitchen (silly boy!) and I don't have running water downstairs so if I use that I would be running up and down the stairs way more than my bum knee could handle either to get soap or run up to wash my mixing tools between batches. I have a big electric turkey roaster that I use for warming jars when it is really cold in my workshop that I had thought about using but was afraid that I would scorch the base because it doesn't seem to have as even heating & I didn't want to ruin 24 lbs of base trying. Has anyone tried these for melting soap?