major uneven yellowing

I just pulled out a box that had a few buttercream candles in it, I tucked it away about 6 months ago so I could test how my candles store.

I set them out on my dining table and they looked fine. Came back a few hours later and they had bloomed yellow all over them. Wow.

I've never seen that happen... I suppose after being hidden away from the light for 6 months its possible the yellowing was postponed and then all the sudden being sat on my (VERY BRIGHT) dining room table accelerated it but.. it was just so sudden... and so ugly.

I have a buttercream from this batch that has been consistently exposed to filtered light.. its of course a more creamy color, but not yellow.

Would UV inhib help prevent this? I'm trying to land an account with a cupcake shop and bakery scented candles would be the main idea.. but this yellowing isnt cute. If someone buys a boxed candle and brings it home, and has this happen.. well, it doesnt reflect well on my line.

Would UV inhib help prevent this? I'm trying to land an account with a cupcake shop and bakery scented candles would be the main idea.. but this yellowing isnt cute. If someone buys a boxed candle and brings it home, and has this happen.. well, it doesnt reflect well on my line.

Absolutely it would help. Eliminate it totally? that's hard to tell unless you test it over a period of time. Just make sure you get the good UV inhibitor that covers both UV rays. I add UV to all my candles, colored and uncolored.

Usually about 1/4 tsp. UV per lb. of wax is good for uncolored and most colors. For shades of blue or purple, 1/2 tsp./lb works the best. If you find these quantities aren't working good enough, bump it up by 1/8 to 1/4 tsp.

The best stuff isn't real cheap, but it lasts a long time! :cool2: