Home Insurance NY

scentlady

A few years back when I was selling candles, I carried liability insurance for my business. I did not carry any extra insurance on my home. I want to start selling again but now I am married and I don't want to put my husband at risk to lose everything if the house burns and the homeowners won't cover it because of my candles. If I could get a separate business policy would I still have to tell my homeowners? Does anyone have any advice or know of a company in NY to get ins. I've read through most of the posts on insurance and it doesn't look too promising for me to be able to do this business.

I'd check with who you have the homeowners Insurance with first. Tell them you exploring a home business but haven't decided yet because you want to get all the facts and figures first. Also check with the town and if you have one your HOA to see if home businesses are allowed. Good luck:yay:

Here is a problem you may run across in NY-

Most home insurance policies will not cover losses due to business affairs... if they do it will be on a very, very limited basis. Some companies will not insure a home if you run a business in it, even if there are no clients coming to the home. The only way to know for sure is to read your policy declarations. After doing that I would contact your agent and ask them about limitations for home businesses.

They may offer a rider you can add, or, the policy may just exclude business related claims. However, I have not seen a policy that lists liability due to business affairs as a covered peril. I have been a licensed property and casualty agent in NY for years....

Hope that helps a little!

:highfive:

So EnvyCandles, you recommend going through your home insurance first? If you aren't covered under that, where do you suggest as the next best place to look for insurance?

Should your homeowners insurance not cover you (for liability and/or your products and/or damage resulting from your business (like you burn your own house down!!)- you would need to contact a broker who writes specialty insurance. Similar to how many companies do not want to cover products liability for chandlers due to the high risk, home insurance companies do not want to have this risk, either. Brokers work with multiple companies and should be able to find you a policy that can cover you.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, any questions, feel free to PM me.

BTW, I am in the Albany area and got several products liability quotes, from multiple brokers... These policies did cover my supplies/products for loss or damage in addition to my liability. HTH:highfive:

• 2 weeks later...