Help with melts!

mary0050

[bHi ladies! How long should my melts & tarts continue to smell after they are in the tart warmer? I use IG 4794 and I finally have the right amount of fo but they only smell for a couple of hours. My sister-in-law is a Scentsy customer and wants to start buying from me but she said they do not last as long as Scentsy. Should I ad a little vybar even though it's already in the wax? Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

A wax tart should continue to smell for several days and several burnings. You definitely want to use the maximum amount of FO allowed by your wax. A typical vybar blended paraffin can hold 8-12% FO. So you can add 1.5 to 2 oz per pound. Just double check with your wax supplier on what the recommended fragrance load is for your wax.

Added vybar can up your fragrance load but if your already using 2 ounces per pound the next culprit most likely is your fragrance oils and improving that is just a matter of changing your supplier. You can check out the fragrance review section here for good throwing FOs.

The only other thing that may make it appear that your tarts lose scent after a couple hours is just your nose getting desensitized to the smell. After two hours turn off your warmer. Wait until the next day and then re-warm the same wax and see if you still get a strong smell from it.

HTH,

Jacqui

my tips... scent to the max.. for me thats up to 1.75-2oz per pound. I use a pillar blend soy wax, and mine last for days, but not 24 hours a day of course, lol. Probaby at least 8 hours a day, but at different times, I just switch them on when I'm in the room and off when I leave, generally. another thing I do is not overload my burner, and I tell my customers this tip too... add one block.. then half a block.. another half... until it loses all scent. That way its a gradual release of scent, instead of burn up a block, toss, another, toss, another, toss...

:yay:Thanks to all of you guys! I'll try what you guys said. I use the IGI4794 from a supplier close to my house. I did not realize all the waxes were different from each supplier. I'll order from someone else and try that. It's just so nice to not have to pay shipping! But not worth it if it's not top quality! Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
my tips... scent to the max.. for me thats up to 1.75-2oz per pound. I use a pillar blend soy wax, and mine last for days, but not 24 hours a day of course, lol. Probaby at least 8 hours a day, but at different times, I just switch them on when I'm in the room and off when I leave, generally. another thing I do is not overload my burner, and I tell my customers this tip too... add one block.. then half a block.. another half... until it loses all scent. That way its a gradual release of scent, instead of burn up a block, toss, another, toss, another, toss...
If you don't mind me asking which pillar blend wax do you use? I was told the IGI 4794 is a pillar blend. Do you know if that's correct? Thanks!!! Edited by mary0050

• 4 weeks later...

I use KY Parasoy and get FOs from prob 10 different suppliers. I have the same prob. feel mine only last a few hrs, not days :(

I changed from soy to parasoy, researched on the how hot the wax should be before adding fo etc. etc. but still not strong enough for me.

B

• 3 weeks later...
I use KY Parasoy and get FOs from prob 10 different suppliers. I have the same prob. feel mine only last a few hrs, not days :(

I changed from soy to parasoy, researched on the how hot the wax should be before adding fo etc. etc. but still not strong enough for me.

B

Same here. A month or so ago I made my first tarts from IGI 4794 and a blend of several FOs (all good quality). They smell fantastic for the first day/few hours in my little electric potpourri pot, but re-warming them the next day gets almost no scent.

Mine all depend on the scent. The heavier scents last more than a day in a tea light burner, like the cinnamon scents, they just arent as strong the next day. I scent 1 oz pp in KY tart wax. I burn them all day in my tea light burners, I go through 2 tea lights sometimes 3 if i remember. I found this was the same from a lady I use to buy from too and I loved her melts!