Additives & Straight Paraffin

I have some 4794 wax on order, but wanted to experiment with wax while I am waiting for delivery. I only make tarts and I only make them for myself and friends/gifts, so I am trying to keep shipping costs down for something that is only a hobby. I dont foresee ever making this into a business, but it sure is fun.

Has anyone ever made their own wax blend using the craft store variety of paraffin and adding vybar or any other additives? Can you get a good hot throw out of that, and if so, what type of additives do you use?

Thanks!

I haven't used the straight paraffin from the craft store, but have used straight paraffin from other sources with additives in the past and got excellent throw. You just have to play around with additives (i.e., vybar, stearic, micro 180, etc.). Keep in mind that if you want the wax to look creamy, you might need to add something like vegetable shortening. The good thing about straight paraffin with additives is that you can always tweak your ingredients to suit the scent AND, many times, the wax will completely pull away from the sides of the jar, so no wet spots!

Have fun!:cheesy2:

Thanks for the input. I tried using the craft store paraffin and added some vybar but I think it may have been too much vybar. I used 1/2 tsp to 1 lb wax. The CT is great but not the hot throw (or maybe the wax just sucks). Do you think this might be a decent combination... 1 lb paraffin, 1/4 tsp vybar and maybe a tablespoon or so of coconut oil? I have stearic as well, but wasnt sure if I would need to add that too, or just the vybar? This would only be used in making tarts for myself.

Thank you,

I haven't used the straight paraffin from the craft store, but have used straight paraffin from other sources with additives in the past and got excellent throw. You just have to play around with additives (i.e., vybar, stearic, micro 180, etc.). Keep in mind that if you want the wax to look creamy, you might need to add something like vegetable shortening. The good thing about straight paraffin with additives is that you can always tweak your ingredients to suit the scent AND, many times, the wax will completely pull away from the sides of the jar, so no wet spots!

Have fun!:cheesy2:

I'm not sure who the maker of the paraffin wax is you used. I see Yaley in the Michael's craft store and I've never tried it. I used only 1/4 tsp. Vybar 260 and I also used the Micro 180 (think I got that from Genwax, but don't know if they still carry it) BCN used to carry it also. If you use too much vybar, your scent gets "locked up" in the wax. If you don't use enough, you get fragrance oil seepage--it's a fine balance. Play around with it and have fun! Sometimes the fun turns into "pulling your hair out"--LOL!