Presto Pot Questions

I just got my first 2 prestos and hubby installed spigots.

My question is: Do you still need to check wax temperature with thermometer? What do you set the thermostat at? I know to never let it exceed 250 degrees. Does anyone use a digital thermometer? I'm still new so please forgive the silliness of the questions :P

Thanks so much

Connie

Not silly at all Connie. You most definitely need to check the temp with a thermometer. If you have the clip-on type you can clip it to the side of your pot. Do NOT trust the temperature dial. HTH and welcome to the board:)!

OOps, edited to add that I use a digital thermometer with no problems at all.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I thought of 2 more questions.....

Where did you find your digital cooking thermometer and how do you measure out your wax....eg. like if you need 1 lb of wax....I plan on mixing scent and colour in my seamless pouring pots.

Thanks again

Connie:yay:

I use a Pyrex digital thermometer. They are everywhere (Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.) Go to Froogle.com and search on "Pyrex Digital Thermometer". The great thing is they are cheap!

I measure out my unmelted wax in a big Pyrex (I should buy stock in Pyrex) measuring cup. Put the Pyrex on the scale, tare it, then add unmelted wax until I reach my desired amount. Take your measured wax and dump it in the Presto.

Take care when melting small amounts in your Presto. It will melt very quickly! :)

I keep my presto full, then ladle (with a big pyrex cup) out the melted wax into the pour pot until it reaches the weight I want. Then make scratch marks inside the pour pot at the 1 lb marks. Thereafter, just pour the melted wax until it reaches the line.

Ok i am definately on a search for a digital thermometer. Do you keep your presto pot thermostat at the same temp all the time? I only use the pre-blended wax which I normally pour at 170 degress (jeez I hope that the right temperature lol)

Gosh i cant believe how helpful this message board is. I purchased fragrance oils from peaks 2 times and I have been so pleased with my purchases.

Thank you thank you thank you

Connie:highfive:

I use such a wide variety of waxes that my temp does vary from batch to batch. I think that each temperature dial has it's own "personality". My advice would be to start low, say a bit below 150 and wait for your wax to melt. Check the temp and bump up if you need to.