Infusing the oil with herbs... help!

Reg

I want to infuse some olive oil with mint (from my garden). Do I need to wash the mint first, or just pick and put it in the oil? Also, are some oils better for infusing then others?

as Lorrie said you want to use dry herbs, because any water in the botanicals can spoil your oil.

I make lavender infused oil every year.. my process is pretty simple. I use grapeseed oil, simply because there are alot of products that are "leave on" that I think its nice in. I dont use it in soap... waste!!

So, I pick my lavender and hand it out to dry, it takes about a week, sometimes more depending on how dry it is outside. Dont dry it in direct sunlight. I use both lavender leaves, and the flowers. The stems dont have much to them but the leaves have plenty of scent in them. With mint I would just chop it into manageable size and use the whole plant.

I bring my oil to a warm temp, not hot.. we dont want to "cook" it, we just want it to be warm enough to help release some of those oils from the botanicals. I rub the lavender between my hands, then put it all in the pot with the oil. You could use a crock on low for this, too. I let it go for about 4 hours. Never let your oil overheat though, keep an eye on it... you dont want to FRY the botanicals, lol.

After about 4 hours I let it cool, pour them into heavy 1 gallon bottles, and then set them in a box, in a dry cool area of my house (for me this is the master closet, it sits by an AC duct and stays 60-70* all the time, even in the summer) I let it sit for two weeks. After two weeks, I strain (using cheesecloth, sometimes you have to strain multiple times) and let it sit again for a week. After the week, I send it off to sagescript to be tested. If I'm going to be using it in leave on products, I just want to be sure its not full of botchulism or something! haha.

I make 3-4 gallons every year... but I've only ever done lavender.

as Lorrie said you want to use dry herbs, because any water in the botanicals can spoil your oil.

I make lavender infused oil every year.. my process is pretty simple. I use grapeseed oil, simply because there are alot of products that are "leave on" that I think its nice in. I dont use it in soap... waste!!

So, I pick my lavender and hand it out to dry, it takes about a week, sometimes more depending on how dry it is outside. Dont dry it in direct sunlight. I use both lavender leaves, and the flowers. The stems dont have much to them but the leaves have plenty of scent in them. With mint I would just chop it into manageable size and use the whole plant.

I bring my oil to a warm temp, not hot.. we dont want to "cook" it, we just want it to be warm enough to help release some of those oils from the botanicals. I rub the lavender between my hands, then put it all in the pot with the oil. You could use a crock on low for this, too. I let it go for about 4 hours. Never let your oil overheat though, keep an eye on it... you dont want to FRY the botanicals, lol.

After about 4 hours I let it cool, pour them into heavy 1 gallon bottles, and then set them in a box, in a dry cool area of my house (for me this is the master closet, it sits by an AC duct and stays 60-70* all the time, even in the summer) I let it sit for two weeks. After two weeks, I strain (using cheesecloth, sometimes you have to strain multiple times) and let it sit again for a week. After the week, I send it off to sagescript to be tested. If I'm going to be using it in leave on products, I just want to be sure its not full of botchulism or something! haha.

Thank you! I do need detail explanation, so this is perfect. I do have one lavander plant in my garden, but it's still so tiny. I hope it grows by fall, so I can put it to some good use.

Thanks! I haven't done any infusing all I knew was dried was better because using fresh can cause mold. Thanks!

This book has a great section on infusing oils. "Soap & Other Obsessions" by Zonella Gould, Sally Trew and Diane White. HTH

Steve

Libaray doesn't have it, Border's doesn't have it... I found it on Amazon for 40 bucks (plus shipping), I guess it will go on my wish list for now.

But if you are ever up for it, can you post some pointers that you think are important to know?

The book recommends high oleic sunflower or grade A refined olive oil. They suggest that you can use Comfrey, Jewelweed and Lemon Balm fresh but you have to wilt them first and be careful that they don't sour on you. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of vodka on top of the oil to prevent souring and then either infuse with a crock pot or place in a jar and let the sun do the work. 1 tsp white vinegar for dried herbs per 8 oz of oil. Strain with cheese cloth, muslin or a fine sieve lined with the cloth and press. Decant the clean oil into another jar and either repeat the process for double or triple infused oil and store in the refrigerator. Check for any sour odor and or mold before storing your oils. HTH

Steve

I've tried doing stuff like this before just for myself (so I didn't worry about sending it off for testing, if I get myself sick... well then I just say "Self... you're a moron!") and have always found that thinner, lighter oils (grapeseed, sunflower, etc...) are the easiest. Mint's pretty powerful stuff but I don't know how well it's going to stand up to a heavier Olive Oil. I've never had a problem with ickies in my oil but the straining part can be a real pain in the tush. I recommend lots of cheesecloth and a mesh strainer (which you should be able to get at Walmart pretty cheap).

I've never had a problem with ickies in my oil but the straining part can be a real pain in the tush. I recommend lots of cheesecloth and a mesh strainer (which you should be able to get at Walmart pretty cheap).

Oooh Starr you gave me a thought!!You can buy those mesh coffee filters at walmart for really cheap too.. maybe one of those would be helpful for straining because you could use a spoon to mash oils through it, as well. Its always the really fine stuff at the end, after you've used cheesecloth a few times, that I have trouble with.. so this would help to eliminate that!

And yeah also dont stress too much about the ickies, I've never had anything come up positive.. I just always check if I'm planning on using it in anything, if you're using it for yourself I wouldnt worry that much :)