What Do We Define As Natural Vegetable Wax?

I have been under the general understanding that a Vegetable Wax was only derived directly from a vegetable source - ie Palm from palm oil, soy from soybean etc....

Recently I was reading about candles and noticed a (large scale) manufactuer of paraffin candles claiming they are made from natural wax.

They went on to quote the IGI website in saying that although paraffin is mineral based the mineral oil is natural as it is made from crude oil which in turn is decayed vegetable matter from millions of year ago - hence a natural vegetable product.

Now I am not wishing nor intending to spark a paraffin/natural debate - just wondering if my judgement on what is a natural wax is is actually correct or have I been wrong? What is the general understanding of what constitutes a natural wax? If paraffin is natural, What other waxes are there that are not natural?

Thoughts?

Bart70

Hiya

To me there is nothing natural about candle wax regardless of its origins. I think the difference is sustainablility. One day we will run out of oil therefore to my understanding its not sustainable. The only reason I make candles out of soy and palm is soy washes out with water and soap and palm looks pretty. JMO

Tammy

Although the engineer in me can agree with how paraffin can be called natural, I would not feel comfortable trying to explain that to potential customers.

So I would let your comfort level be your guide.

You might enjoy reading this article about what qualifies as 'natural,' making the point that anything from planet Earth would qualify.

Susan

Edited by jonsie

the only remotely natural candle wax is beeswax.

some think palm wax is natural, but I think not since it's made of various refined fractions of palm oil which are then compounded to create the desired effects in the wax. if you take it apart and then create something inherently different out of it I don't see how it's remotely natural.

carnauba and candelilla are also very minimally processed and IMO can be considered natural, but you can't make candles out of them. :(

although consumers are slowly getting more savvy on it, it seems that the going definition of natural is simply "non-petrochemical" which is absurd to me, since petroleum is as natural as it gets (in it's crude form, anyway).