Premature Fizzing of Bath Salts

caryfh

Ugh!! What am I doing wrong? I put together a slightly modified Bath Salts recipe, but I can't seem to keep it from fizzing prematurely. I mix all the ingredients very well, and add the citric acid last, making sure, again to mix this well. But when I spread it out to let it dry out even further before packaging, I come back and find that it has started to congeal.

Recipe

480g Salt (2 types)

240g baking soda

30g liquid glycerin

0.4g FO

120g citric acid

I even tried a batch of it without the glycerin, thinking that perhaps it was making the concoction too moist to prevent fizzing, but no such luck... same problem. I have seen some people adding cornstarch to theirs. Does this help?

so frustrating. I'm doing another test batch right now. I mixed up everything except for the citric acid, and I'm going to let it air dry even more until later today, and then will try again with the citric acid. It was pretty humid here, so maybe that was it. Would hate to have to get an air conditioner put in the shop just to take the humidity out of the air.

so frustrating. I'm doing another test batch right now. I mixed up everything except for the citric acid, and I'm going to let it air dry even more until later today, and then will try again with the citric acid. It was pretty humid here, so maybe that was it. Would hate to have to get an air conditioner put in the shop just to take the humidity out of the air.

I don't use your recipe but I have found that if I mix the other ingredients and then let it sit for a day or two (stirring occasionally) before adding the citric acid, I get less clumping.

Do you find that you lose a lot of the scent by letting it sit out? I just spread it out on a sheet pan and am going to let it dry overnight and try the citric acid tomorrow. I almost wouldn't mind clumping, my issue was that it was oozing together it was so moist, it reminded me a little bit of pizza dough. ick.