Expiration Dating

caryfh

Quick question on how to appropriately date products. I am making the products from scratch (no bases) and am keeping careful track of the shelf life of all of my ingredients. So when it comes to choosing an expiration date, how do I do this? Is it based on the shelf life of the oil? But doesn't that all change when it becomes an emulsification combined with antioxidants and a preservative?

Side note - the learning process for somethings like this kind of make my head want to explode from overstimulation... yet I keep coming back for more. :laugh2:

Most definitely a newbie. Doing some experimenting right now. And as I wait for different supplies to slowly make their way to my doorstep... I research the crap out of every tiny question I come up with. It seems to me that rancidity would be the major motivator behind the expiration dating, but just can't figure out how to determine when this would result, and thus calculate an appropriate disposal date.

So I don't have anything that has been packaged up and sitting long enough.

Edited by caryfh

Have full intentions of sending things off to be tested for microorganisms - is that what you mean by "challenge" testing? And I have researched the ingredients I have acquired so far, choosing those which are the most stable at room temperature and have the longest shelf-life which seems to be approximately 1 year max for most carrier oils. Is there a place that does testing to determine appropriate expiration dates?

For anyone else who finds themself in the same boat as me... I found a company that does shelf life testing for food products. www.emsl.com I sent them a "Shelf Life Study Proposal Request Form" so I will see what they respond with. They also do some microbial testing, so it would be killing two birds with one stone.

It is very hard to say how long a product will be good for. You can make it properly with correct amount of preservative etc, but we never know what conditions the buyer might subject the product to, do they dip their wet hands into it, do they wash their hands on a regular basis etc. I put use within 6 months on some of my products.