Has anyone tried embeds in soy?

Hi! I currently use GB 464 and love it. I was just playing with the idea to try embeds in soy wax. I know that soy is not as translucent as certain types of parrafin but thought it would be interesting to try embeds. I know there are so many talented candlemakers here on this forum so if anyone has tried this process I would love to hear your story! Thank you so much! :)

I tried a few and had some good and some bad results. I don't use the same type of wax, I use the Ecosoya PB. I found that if I wanted to do a chunky candle it worked okay, but I couldn't expect the chunks to hold their form as the overpour of wax had to be hot enough to loosen the edges of the chunks, otherwise it wouldn't come out smooth. I also found that I couldn't really do embeds of a particular shape. I tried to do a coconut lime one where I was going to put lime shapes in the mold and then overpour with regular wax. I couldn't get the limes adhered well enough to the sides, so everything just kind of blended together. Wasn't crisp enough to see that they were lime wedges.

Here's a picture of the pillar I did with the chunks, and you can see that with the hotter wax overpour the chunks softened and sunk a bit to the top of the pillar. I think it still looked good, but more like a blend of colors instead of distinct embeds.

http://www.westroadcandles.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=PILLAR_PL

The Pillar that you made with the chuncks looks great to me. I like the look of the blended colors. I am trying to stay with using natural waxes - soy, palm, so this gives me some hope! I know that paraffin wax is more translucent so if you embed sea glass, etc. you can see the effect more. But I will start will a soy pillar wax and go from there. Thank you for sharing your pics and knowledge. I really appreciate it! :)

I'm not really sure how the palm wax works, so that might be an avenue to try. I found that with anything I wanted to embellish, I had to do it by pouring the pillar, and then I would add a distinct shape to the top - by heating the top slightly and setting the embed on it. Best of luck!!

Edited by caryfh