Im stumped on this

First of all, im new to this ! :)

This is my second pour in these containers.The first pour was done at 150 for all 3 containers, and it resulted in horrible frosting in all. The tops looked perfect.

The containers were hand washed and dry 2 hours before each pour, and were room temp at pour time.

Both pours were cooled under a box with a wire rack. The second pour temps were from left to right 150, 115, and 130.

My wax is CB Advanced with Peak's 'Canteloupe' @1oz pp, and using Peaks dye chips - 1 rust and 2 orange in a 1.5 pound batch. Wax was melted at 180, 1.5 tsp co for 1.5 pound batch, and fo added at 170.

The frosting I believe is much better, as only the status jar is showing just a slight trace after diffrent temp changes over 3 days now.

What i dont understand is why the tops have all developed the cracked circle in the center. Both pours cooled the same amount of time, and the first pour didnt have the cracks, while being poured at same temp as the coke glass.

What did I do wrong?

post-12205-139458471022_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave
adding a lot of important info

Are you going to make candles? I don't see any wicks. If so I suggest you start with only one kind of jar to do your testing. Then choose a wick. I know candlescience has a wick guide on their site. But that's a starting point so you'll need a sample pack of wicks so you can wick up or down if necessary. I also suggest you use an easier jar than a coke glass which may burn too hot at the bottom. maybe an 8 oz jelly jar. I have not used CB advanced so I can't help much with that part. I use cb135. Have you poured without the co? Also you could go to ngiwax site and read more about the wax. Hope this helps.

Yes, I am going to make candles out of these. The wicks are not installed so that I can make sure that I can get a good looking candle before i begin my test burns.Once made, drill hole,install wick, test test test.When all is good, I'll glue a tabbed wick in place and then repour.

I have been using 8 oz wide mason jars prior to these with very nice results.They are wicked with HTP 105's.

The containers pictured above have always had the co used in them. My masons for the most part have been poured with the co aswell. Same preperation on the glasswear, and the same mixing temp.

Looking over my notes again, I see that I have been pouring the masons at 150 and just leaving them on my counter to cure without rack and box. Maybe the cooling has been altered by using the rack and box...hmmm.

The status jar ( middle one in pic ) has the exact same diameter as my masons...3 inches.

Im going to try another pour at 150 and open air cooling to rule out the box/rack idea i guess. :)

Btw, the coke glass was just an experiment .If it poures / wicks good, fine.If not, no big deal.Im not putting a lot of effort into it. Its the status jar im really concerned with getting right. At the moment,anyways :grin2:

The cracks in the center look like your candles are cooling too fast. Try pouring cooler next time and see if that corrects some of your issues.

I also agree pick one container and test that. It will make it much easier for you to solve problems as the arise.