Really dumb question about wicking-

Hey guys- so this is probably the most BASIC question about wicking, but I'm more of a soap maker, not a candle maker, and I'm just starting to do burn tests (in the past, I just made candles and let them burn as they did)

So here is my question.

If you find a certain wick does well in a certain soy wax with 1oz FO, and you decide to go to 1.5 or 2oz FO, Do you almost ALWAYS increase the wicksize, or would you sometimes decrease it?

I'm guessing it will always stay the same size or get larger. Input?

Thanks!

PS- I've been lurking here for a few days. Lots of great info. Thanks for having such a great forum!

Usually it's recommended you change only ONE variable at a time. So if you change your FO amount, leave the wick the same for the next test and after burning compare it to your first test.
I agree, keep the wick the same and test burn, then compare it with your first

Thanks! I guess that makes sense, and was kind of the answer I was expecting, but I thought maybe I'd get a general statement, like "usually, if you add more fragrance, you need a bigger wick." But I should probably not try and shortcut tests...just make a new candle with the increased scent, and test it the same wa as the one with less scent...go up in size if it looks like I need to.

Not sure about Soy, but with Feather I find that some FO's require a different wick to others at the same loading.

My point being that even when you find which one is 'right' after you change your FO loading, you may still find that different FO's may work better with a different wick.

Bart70

Not sure about Soy, but with Feather I find that some FO's require a different wick to others at the same loading.

My point being that even when you find which one is 'right' after you change your FO loading, you may still find that different FO's may work better with a different wick.

Bart70

Gotcha. With that said, I think I'm going to pick out 5 or 6 scents and stick with JUST those from now on.

I'm sure there's another thread that already has this-so I will look, but what are everyone's best sellers?

Thanks again everyone.