Testing the CB Xcel... FO %

Okay so I've been doing some test pouring with the New Ecosoya CB Xcel and checking how much FO I can use before it bleeds. Manufacturer's website says you can use max 12% but that's way too much FO to use for this wax. So I went down to 10% and still got some bleeding.

All the other sites that sell this wax suggest no more that 9% FO..

I think I'm just going to stick with the basic 1oz per 1lb..

Anyone having any issues or suggestions?

I've had no issues using the 1 oz pp. I don't really see a need to go more than that. I've never noticed an appreciable difference in scent throw when increasing FO loads in soy waxes. I have seen an increase in appearance and wick issues whenever I've increased FO.

The throw with 1 oz pp is pretty good in this wax. The CT is awesome. I'm still not 100% convinced on the HT. It's good but I'm still searching for a killer HT in my candles. I was using a parasoy before it was discontinued and can't seem to find anything comparable. I'm starting to wonder if my standards and expectations are too high for straight soy.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I've been using CB Advanced but didn't quite like it.. always had a waxy smell in the burn and don't like how there are wet spots and still got a lot of frosting and the CT/HT just wasn't that great in my opinion. I was able to up the FO % in the Advanced but this Excel isn't liking it :P

So back to the drawing board I go... 1oz/1lb.

As far as coloring.. I've been on the fence about color in the soy wax. I've noticed discoloration or change in color where the wax pool cools down. I know its just chemistry change and heat but I'm just not digging it.. To color? or not to Color? that is the Question :P

Any opinions or suggestions on color?

I personally do not color my wax but I still sometimes deal with the ugly discoloration after a burn. And if I use certain FOs, my wax gets colored somewhat anyway... by the color from the oil.

For me I don't use dye just because I like the minimalist approach, less is best, when it comes to ingredients added to the candle. But that's just me. :) I wish the wax would stay beautiful and creamy all the way down, but it doesn't do that all the time. :(

I feel the decision to dye/not dye the wax is best decided by the vision you have for your candle line and how you are going to market it (and who you are marketing to). And obviously how it impacts the quality of your end product.