New to Soap Making

psfponies

I'm also new to soap making and took the plunge about a month ago or so. I have about 8 batches under my belt now. I started by reading, reading, reading... There are tons of threads on this forum for beginners, as well as some good tutorials in the tutorial section. I am having so much fun, and I have more soap than I know what to do with! Good luck.

Hi I am wanting to start making soap but I am not sure where to even start. And anyone suggest what would be best for a beginner.

You can check out my website - http://www.colormekevin.com/soap

I don't sell anything there, and I haven't redone the site in YEARS (I'm going to put up a new, more updated how to guide soon, as well as some videos - the site was made when I was a bit more of a newbie without the experience I now have) but if you click soapmaking 101, there is a step by step with pictures.

I'll put up some recipes within the next couple weeks to.

Also, get Susan Miller Cavitch's 2 books on soap making - you can get them at any bookstore, or on amazon. They're AMAZING for a first time soaper, or someone who's advanced.

Hope that helps.

I'm also new to soap making and took the plunge about a month ago or so. I have about 8 batches under my belt now. I started by reading, reading, reading... There are tons of threads on this forum for beginners, as well as some good tutorials in the tutorial section. I am having so much fun, and I have more soap than I know what to do with! Good luck.

Be very careful if you start making goat's milk soaps.....they're more work, but you'll be soooo addicted to them you'll find yourself making them non-stop. you'll become a slave to the milksoaps!

Be very careful if you start making goat's milk soaps.....they're more work, but you'll be soooo addicted to them you'll find yourself making them non-stop. you'll become a slave to the milksoaps!

Uh, oh... already tried a GM batch a couple of weeks ago. They're curing right now, so I won't get my grubby little hands on them for another month to test them out! I made a higher OO recipe for my baby boys and scented it Baby from WSP. They're FUGLY soaps because they gelled part way. Ugly brown in the middle, and more yellow-cream on outside with some blue marbling. Next time, I'll throw the batch in the fridge to keep them from gelling.

Have you tried any other milks? I've read good things about heavy cream, buttermilk and coconut milk.

Have you tried any other milks? I've read good things about heavy cream, buttermilk and coconut milk.

I've only used goat milk. It's SOOOOO amazing, I figure why bother with anything else. Plus, I feel it has a nicer "ring" to it to say goat milk & honey, rather than "heavy whipping cream & Honey" Though I can see the whipping cream making a nice soap - I'd be nervous of the cream tracing before it ever even got to the oils....

:)

Congrats on the mils soap Candlemama. I have never found milk soaps to be more work. :confused: I make a 3 milk soap with goat milk, buttermilk and coconut milk that's not any harder to make than any other soap. Now, IMO, a soap that's a PITB to make is Pinetar but I still would not say its harder. That's my #1 selling soap too - of course since its such a PITB.

You can check out my website - http://www.colormekevin.com/soap

I don't sell anything there, and I haven't redone the site in YEARS (I'm going to put up a new, more updated how to guide soon, as well as some videos - the site was made when I was a bit more of a newbie without the experience I now have) but if you click soapmaking 101, there is a step by step with pictures.

I'll put up some recipes within the next couple weeks to.

Also, get Susan Miller Cavitch's 2 books on soap making - you can get them at any bookstore, or on amazon. They're AMAZING for a first time soaper, or someone who's advanced.

Hope that helps.

Great site had lots of helpful info...

Kay