Trying a different wax. Opinions?

I like the wax that I got from NG but with me being new, I would like to try different waxes until I find "my favorite". I have looked through the threads and noticed that A LOT of you like Ecosoya CB Advanced and PB. I figured I would try this next. I also think I am going to try my hand at some votives and tarts.

Does ecosoya seem like a good choice?

The jars I have on hand are some 6.5oz jelly jars, regular 8oz jelly jars, and some wide mouth 8oz jelly jars.

What is better about excel? Oh, and is it better to just get the wick sample pack? I have just been going by the wick guide . LOl I know nothing about wicks. :P

Where is best place to order the excel? I have found a place in GA (where i live) but they do not do in store pick ups and the shipping is still A LOT!

Edited by BrittyBea

The Ecosoya Advanced (CBA) is a container blend designed to have a creamy appearance; minimum frosting, and smooth tops. Unfortunately when this wax was designed it was done so with the emphasis on good appearance rather scent throw. If you are looking for a pretty candle this is the wax for you.

If you are interested in a great scent throw you may want to reconsider trying Ecosoya's CB 135 or the new Excel wax. Or, be prepared to spend extra money and time looking for FOs that throw well in the CBA.

The specs. for both the CB advanced and 135 say 6-9%. So the 135 just throws it more?

The fragrance hold refers to how much FO the wax will carry before it will start seeping out of the wax. It has nothing to do with how well the FO will throw in the wax.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, CBA was designed for appearance while the CB135 is the better thrower but frosts more. Its always a tradeoff with wax.

BrittyBea

So far my girlfriend and I have tried 2 types of soy. We got a GREAT deal on golden brands GW444 so we have ton of that (over 200 lbs as hobbiers not a business) and so far we've had really good luck with it in containers, and have got our additive recipe almost to the point where we can reliably make nice looking/burning/smelling pillars out of it.

The second wax we tried was the EcoSoya Pillar Blend. But we have read alot that there are 2 different formulas, one has a blue sticker (we got that) and the other has an orange sticker. The blue sticker box is FANTASTIC for pillars, but it is very expensive, almost twice what we paid for the GW444, and from what I"ve read on the boards, the orange box is not nearly as reliable for making good candles.

So when you say that you are looking for a new wax, what are you looking to pour jars or pillars?

Chris and Lisa

BrittyBea

So when you say that you are looking for a new wax, what are you looking to pour jars or pillars?

I plan on sticking with containers but I also plan on getting some EcoSoya PB to make some votives and tarts. For the containers I am trying to decide between GB444 and EcoSoya cb 135.

Also, I have heard that mixing in a little bit of container wax with pillar wax makes better votives and pillars. The ratio I have see is 25% CB and 75% PB. Has anyone else heard that?

We make votives out of the 444 with 3.5 wendy's chili spoons (my super exact measuring device ;) ) per pound of vybar 103 (which is incredibly cheap btw I got 5 lbs for 26 bucks delivered).

They burned very nice, and have very good throw because we are able to increase the scent load because of the vybar.

We wick our votives with LX 14's from candlescience too.

Chris and Lisa