Ornies Question..

puddin1970

I have always used the metal cookie cutters to make mine. Has anyone ever tried to make them in silicone molds? if so how long did you cook them for and how did they turn out?

I have a few muffin type molds that are heart, butterfly, and circles and wanted to use them - but didnt want to destroy them trying this out first. Thanks

I had asked the same question a few weeks ago and never got an answer, so I tried it last week, using an inexpensive silicone mold from the Dollar Tree.

Didn't work well at all--the silicone got all droopy and stuck to the cookie sheet I had put it on in the oven--after letting it cool, I was able to unstick it from the sheet and remove the ornies. Most of the shapes were distorted due to the silicone sagging!

On the other hand, I don't know if there are different qualities of silicone and if a better quality one would hold up better. I'm still a little tempted to cut one of the shapes off the mold I really want to use and try it in the oven--that way, if I destroy it, it will only be one/sixth of the mold that's ruined!

I'd still love to hear if anyone else has any experience with this.

Jane

Well I decided to give it a try Jane. It worked okay. I had a few silicone molds that were individual ones - so I figured what the heck.. and it worked. I left it cool pretty well before trying to remove it. The mold didnt reuin and its fine. I then used the mold for a wax tart - and the scent didnt stay in the mold.

I had a hard time with the cookie cutters - I had to throw alot of them away cause they stuck to the cutter and other issues. This might be a good thing to stick with. I just need to find larger molds to use now. But figured Id give it a try!!

Now you know its safe to try it out.