Is this what is called a "rough top"?

If not, then what is it?!?! I made my first 3 candles tonight. I took these pictures when they have only been cooling a little over an hour. Should I fix it now or wait until the 4-6 hours? Oh! I also covered them with a box right after pouring.

If someone could help me out, please do!

post-12207-139458470482_thumb.jpg

post-12207-139458470486_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrittyBea

I'm no expert :) but the only time I've had a result like that was when I poured the wax at too low a temperature and the top looked a if I had just poured the wax flakes on top of the candle - which looks to me like what those tops look like.

What I did was warm up the oven, then turn it off and placed the container in the heated oven, let it remelt and reharden over night. Removed the horrible top and it all came out nice and smooth :-) I really don't think it's worth burning the way it is because that is more than a 'rough top' :)

Hopefully someone with more experience can come along and give you more/better advice.

I'd zap the tops with a heat gun to remelt the top layer, that should take care of it. I use 444 and 99% of the time I have to use the heat gun because of craters and such. I don't bother with the box or other cooling interventions anymore, then again I don't color unless it's requested. I will say I have much less problems with craters and tops with wide mouth jars. Soy is never going to look perfect consistently, it's in it's nature to look "natural." Don't let it bother you! I've never had a customer complain that their candle top wasn't smooth after they burned it.

Thanks so much for all the responses! I ended up zapping them with the heat gun before I went to bed. I checked on them when I got up and they are smoother but not 100% better. There is no lifted up cracking like there was but it's a tiny bit bumpy and the top edges are a little white, I'm guessing that is the frosting I have heard about? Also, since I used glass containers I can see some [frosting?] on the sides. I'll take some pictures in a minute when I get back downstairs.

I plan on trying it again tonight, I followed the instructions that came with the kit. It said to pour around 110. I poured between 110-115. I took my notes, would it help if you knew the specs?

Hi Seen worse .... made worse lol. I find I have no frosting if I use chips. If I use colour blocks I get alot of frosting on my candles, burgandy and purple are the worst. I dont use liquid dye yet I just make candles as a hobby.

I had that sunburnt/peeling look on some of my candles a while ago, not very nice. I was using 415 which I poured slushy at about 38 C I think. I couldnt get them to come back nice no matter what I did. I think it might have been the FO. Who knows...Try playing around with pour temps.

Tammy

Hi Seen worse .... made worse lol. I find I have no frosting if I use chips. If I use colour blocks I get alot of frosting on my candles, burgandy and purple are the worst. I dont use liquid dye yet I just make candles as a hobby.

I had that sunburnt/peeling look on some of my candles a while ago, not very nice. I was using 415 which I poured slushy at about 38 C I think. I couldnt get them to come back nice no matter what I did. I think it might have been the FO. Who knows...Try playing around with pour temps.

Tammy

Yeah, the kit that was sent to me came with 2 color blocks, green and burgundy. I have to say that I DO NOT like it! They are too hard to cut up. I had to end up shaving it off with scissors. I have read that the color chips are a lot easier to use.

So since I poured around 110, think I should pour hotter? Like 130?

Yeah, the kit that was sent to me came with 2 color blocks, green and burgundy. I have to say that I DO NOT like it! They are too hard to cut up. I had to end up shaving it off with scissors. I have read that the color chips are a lot easier to use.

So since I poured around 110, think I should pour hotter? Like 130?

Britty, once you go liquid dye, you will never go back. We started with the dye blocks, and then went to those little diamond chips, and then tried liquid.

The chips are MUCH better then the blocks, but if you only want a slight color, we found it was difficult to achieve.

Since buying the liquid, we haven't ever bought anything else since. Also, the liquid you get in the store at big chain craft stores (like Joanne's or Michael's) is terrible and expensive, the candlescience stuff is super cheap (per pound dyed) and it's amazing in comparison.

Chris and Lisa

I have had that look a few time recently, never seen it before. And I have been using GF's wax for at least 9 years. I'd say it's another soy fluke... If you melted the wax in the jars and did a repour it might not happen again. Those tops are not the norm and I couldn't tell you why it happened. Just melt and pour again, I have to do that all the time. Soy is a pain but it cleans up with soap and water....:yay:

I have had that look a few time recently, never seen it before. And I have been using GF's wax for at least 9 years. I'd say it's another soy fluke... If you melted the wax in the jars and did a repour it might not happen again. Those tops are not the norm and I couldn't tell you why it happened. Just melt and pour again, I have to do that all the time. Soy is a pain but it cleans up with soap and water....:yay:

Me too, and that is the main reason I choose it, easy clean up. I don't dye and still get frosting, it is some strange stuff to work with.

The color is causing your frosting problem. I would suggest that you wait overnight and then heatgun in the morning, you should get a nice top first time. In saying that, though, I don't use your wax, but it is worth giving a go.

The color is causing your frosting problem. I would suggest that you wait overnight and then heatgun in the morning, you should get a nice top first time. In saying that, though, I don't use your wax, but it is worth giving a go.

Thanks circle! I have found that with this type wax (just my experience) that dye messes it up! Given I have only tried burgundy and green but both have MAJORLY frosted. I ended up remelting the burgundy in the oven and letting it set overnight but it burned sooooo ugly!

My latest was the same wax, 1oz FO, and NO DYE. Came out wonderful! All it needed was a quick zap from the heat gun! There was a few wet spots but with it being it's natural color, you really couldn't tell!

Edited by BrittyBea