Question about books

Aileene

Okay, hopefully I won't get slapped down to much for this lol.

I want to make B&B products at some point...actual soap bars don't excite me, if that makes sense, but I would love to make scrubs, lotions, etc. I want to start out using bases and then move from there.

So what I am asking here is for books for a newbie to B&B products. I've made candles/tarts for awhile now (though I took the last 4-5 years off and am testing waxes again with all the new changes/stuff) so I am familiar with the importance of recipe and testing....

I guess I am looking for a starting place and while these boards are awesome, I would love to find some books to augment it.

Thanks so very much,

--Aileene

You know, I tried looking for some books on B&B and couldn't really find any. I have heard that Soap and Other Obsessions is a good book to use and has lots of instructions on making other B&B products, to include mineral makeup. I haven't had a chance to get it yet.

I've made a couple creams, scrubs, lotions and mineral makeup, all by spending hours on the internet reading forums here, elsewhere and suppliers' sites. Snowdrift Farms has some good info, as does LotionCrafters. I followed LotionCrafters' formulary for their GM lotion and body scrub, and both came out fantastic.

HTH.

Thanks so much Candlemama, unfortunately that is kind of what I thought from what research I've been doing.

I'll look into Lotioncrafters, I've just found snowdriftfarms and they seem to have some good information.

I'll look into that book too. At this point I'll try anything to get a bit more experience.

I know that soap bars are popular and people make/collect/sell a lot of them, but I'm not really a soap bar collector lol.

I totally understand the 'addiction' behind it though, as I feel that way about wax melts, sugar scrub and body butter lotions :drool: so that's why I want to start there...I figure I should start with products I want even if I want to sell them (as well as my melts, candles, etc) in the future, testing will be more fun for me this way...if that makes sense.

I am hoping with bases that I might be able to have a small line of products by next summer or winter (that's winter 2011 lol)

--Aileene

p.s. Sorry for going on and on.

I just want to reiterate that I am still looking for suggestions for sites, other forums, or books on B&B. I'd even take the top book (s) on M&P and other soap, because eventually I am going to have to venture that way I am sure.

Well being as I don't think you want to spend $300 for a database of toiletry and cosmetic formulations ... how about taking a look at:

Organic body care recipes by Stephanie Tourles

Making Herbal Hand Creams and Salves by Norma P. Weinberg

Making Aromatherapy Creams and Lotions: 101 Natural ... by Donna Maria

Those are the books I've been looking at.

I see there's a book called Pure Skin: Organic Beauty Basics that might be worth looking at too. It apparently isn't going to be loaded with recipes, but it might be worth a look ... Not sure I'd be up for paying $28 for a book, but I might go with used. So far it has a 5 star rating on Amazon from seven reviews.

Thanks Scented...yeah, I saw the price of that book and marked it off the list for now lol.

I'll look up the ones you've recommended later this evening after the kids have gone to bed.

I appreciate the help very much,

--Aileene