Palm votive test

I found that CSN 9 is too big in feather palm votives. Has too big of a flame and doesnt self trim very well, so I decided to wick with the cd6 wick I have since I dont have any csn 7.

What constitutes a good result? I got 18hrs of burn and .1-.3 oz leftover wax. The cd 5 was too small, and the cd7 was even worse than the csn9. The ultracore 1.792 burns just a tiny bit too small in un scented feather votives, so I have some samples of the next 2 sizes coming. The burn was very smooth, just a little too small flame, but consumned nearly all the wax (.1oz or less leftover).

Edited by snewbie

If it's a single-pour votive, I find that whatever wick burns for about 15 hours in a continuous test is a good size. I would just make life easy and get the CSN 7. What was your burn time on the 9?

It's gonna vary with the type and amount of FO of course, but in my test I found myself wishing for a CSN 8. However, both the 7 and 9 were acceptable and I would have gone with the 9 if I were making a bunch. In your case I imagine the 7 might be good.

I cant single pour these. The tops have a hole and cave in. I have to carefully time a second pour.

What neck size is recommended for votives? I am using 20mm by 6mm neck size wicks. The idgits over at lonestar candles have their 2.5" cd5 with 10mm neck sizes. I didnt read the fine print, so they are useless, but fortunatly I still had some others for the test.

The CSN 9s I am finishing up today even though the flames are too big.

I didnt realize you were supposed to do a marathon burn on votives. Ive been doing 3-4 hr test burns.

I cant wait to try the ultracores, cause I like the one I tried.

Well after researching, I have found there is no need to even use 6mm neck tab wicks unless you are using gel wax. Thankfully, the people at candlewic are knowledgeable. So I'm gonna order some 20X3mm and maybe the 33x3mm. That's another instance of the people at Swan's failing to be awake at all since they have 20x3mm wicktabs, but only ever sold me 20x6mm even though I told then I was making palm votives, and even bought the wax and the molds.

I realize only I am to blame for my lack of knowledge, but I'm realizing quickly that in this business, if somebody else can screw things up for you, they will. Be vigilant

This lesson will not be forgotten. Ive learned a lot in this 6 months of candlemaking, so I'm done beating myself up.

I think my cd6 testers will be fine with the right tabs, lol.

What wick tabs (neck length)where you using? How much leftover wax? I liked the look of the csn7 flame better.

Should I go ahead and complete my csn 9 burn even though Im using 6mm length tabs?

At least my 3x3 pillars are doing well so far.

Thanks a lot.

Oh and those votive holders are my personal favorite. You wouldnt happen to know where to get more would you? All of mine are from various thrift stores.

Edited by snewbie

I normally would use 3 mm tabs so that they burn to the bottom, although I may have done some wick tests with 6 mm tabs if I had such assemblies on hand. When wicked right, there doesn't seem to be enough leftover wax to bother weighing it. With 6 mm tabs the burn time might be a little shorter and there might be a little more wax left, but I can still see when I have the wicking right.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

When I get my 3mm wick tabs, Im gonna start from scratch and test csn 9, cd6 and the ultracores Im getting. If Im still not happy, I'll get some csn 7 and try that. As long as there's no hang up, I guess there's no point in weighing the leftover.

Since I double pour, I'll look for an 18 hr burn. Do you really think the continous marathon burn is the best. I doubt anyone(including myself) would normally burn a candle for 15+hrs straight.

Edited by snewbie

If they work within certain parameters in a continuous test, they work in 3 to 4 hour burns also. The opposite isn't always true. Most of the handcrafted votives I've tried just burn crappier and crappier the longer you have them lit. You should be able to burn a candle like that as long as you want.

If I get the right burn time, good flame size, proper wick trimming, no mushrooming, it's a done deal. Later I burn them in different ways, but it's never a problem.