Soy clamshells??

Craftedinthewoods

I currently make & sell soy container candles. The other day at a craft show someone told me I should make clamshell melts.

I'm wondering if those are as simple to make as pouring my soy container wax with the same amount of FO that I use for containers? (I have done all the testing I needed to do for my candles and so I wonder if I can simply use the same formulas for clamshells.)

Does the pour temps matter with melts?

I am not a melt or tart user myself so, I'm kind of beginning my research stage to see if it is simple to add tarts to my line.

I am just beginning to search the forums for these answers but so far none have answered these questions for soy... I'll keep looking, but I'd appreciate any help. :confused:

We make melts with the remainders of whatever batch we're working with. You'll want to be cautious with the clamshells and not pour really hot, or you can warp the plastic. The shells we use are typically happy campers pouring at 120 degrees F or less.

They are just as easy to pour as container candles. I personally like to up the % of FO that I use in these...because there is no wick you don't have to worry about a little extra FO. Also you may want to test the wax you use to see if it comes out of the clamshells easily...you may have to blend with a pillar or votive blend so they pop out okay. However, I get away with a container blend in mine. Just give it a try. It really is easy.

Depends on what soy wax you use for pour temp on melts. You cannot heat gun the clamshells so if you want them smooth on top you'll have to try different pour temps to see what works in your house/shop. Other than that, same as soy candles with formula and I do the same and use clamshells if I have leftover wax from pouring candles. They are so easy, you may think about giving up candles...or not! :laugh2:

• Like 1

Ok - so I found some clamshells at Peak's and poured a few using my container wax and votive wax. Did a few different pour temps with each. I like the container wax better. They come out all right and the tops are smooth.

Now, I plan on making one to test with scent. The only melter I have uses a tea light as the heat. Is that a comparable melter to the electric ones? Will I get similar results as far as melt time, scent throw, etc.?

Also, maybe a dumb question. I've taken advice from the candle makers on this forum and tested, tested, tested before selling a candle. Do you test as much with each and every scent of tart you make? Or once I do my first test scent and know how long the scent lasts am I good to go?

No, I didn't test each scent with melts, but found after eventually burning each one just which aren't worth making. The very light scents just don't last long enough for me, and my customers want lasting scent in melts.

It all depends on the heat from the burner and the scent itself. The tealight burners are the worst in my opinion, especially if the warmer is short (like the coffee cups). Many scents smell burned in those warmers and the scent doesn't last very long.

Electric warmers depend on whether they are warming plate or light bulb and the amount of heat they put off. I burn them in our stores (9000 sq ft) in one location and get scent throught the store (even on the 3rd floor) if the scent is a stronger one like twigs & berries or chocolate mint. The chocolate mint scent last 2-3 days burning 8-9 hrs a day, I can still smell it after that but it doesn't fill the store with scent.

I use the halogen burner from Levine in one store and a warming plate burner in the other. The warming plate does not last as long as it gets much hotter. Since I'm using all soy container wax, it doesn't take that much heat to melt it and put off scent.

HTH!

Edited by kandlekrazy

They are just as easy to pour as container candles. I personally like to up the % of FO that I use in these...because there is no wick you don't have to worry about a little extra FO. Also you may want to test the wax you use to see if it comes out of the clamshells easily...you may have to blend with a pillar or votive blend so they pop out okay. However, I get away with a container blend in mine. Just give it a try. It really is easy.

What type of container wax do you use for your tarts, if you don't mind me asking?

in regards to the different kinds of burners...

so far, in testing two different burners... I am getting about 80 hours (with .75oz wax) out of the tealight burners, and about 80-90 out of the electric tart burners.

I make molded tarts with my soy container wax.. I dont do anything different, just pour excess (I dont color my container candles but I do color the tarts)... into silicone molds I found that I like.

two lil guys fit in the tealight burner. More will fit in the electric but to keep things even I tested them with the same amount in the same room at different times... I burn them for 4 hour intervals. The tealight one does get hotter, so yeah the scent burns off slightly quicker... but not enough to make me think its that big of a deal.

I didnt add any extra FO to the ones I tested.. they were left over wax.. they were really strong, I wasnt expecting them to be that strong... so I dont think I would add extra FO.. but they are strong FO's to begin with (oceans, vanillas).

Sweet Pea.. light things like that.. I think you would need more.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

• 4 years later...

What type of container wax do you use for your tarts, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, haven't been checking on here.  I use Naturewax C3 and add 2 tbsp of Universal Soy Additive to each 5# batch.  I do both candles and melts with the same mix.

I also use the same 6% fo in everything.   They pop right out, no problems.

Edited by kandlekrazy