2nd tortoise palm pillar

I do not have a pic to share, but wanted to give an update on my 2nd tester. This one is a 3 x 4.5 concave pillar with CSN 9 and 1 oz CS Bayberry. First 3 hour burn looked good. Second 3.25 hour burn looks like the sides of the pillar are just about to open at the melt pool--blow out. I am so surprised that a CSN 9 was burning so hot.....

I started testing a csn 9 and a csn 12 yesterday in the tortoise. Have not been home today enough to do a burn two...but will update you if you want after I do so tomorrow. I wanted to burn a 11 and 12...but I don't have 11's...which surprised me. I thought I did. Wonder why the 9 blew out? I'll watch mine closely! Thanks mama...I love these testing threads. Very helpful!!!

I got a blowout with both CSN 9 and CSN 12, while CSN 11 worked great. I had the same experience multiple times with feather and starburst palm. Larger sizes, but often there's a blowout with a size too small and a size too large.

It's not totally usual for a smaller wick to make a larger melt pool. I've seen that with paraffin pillars too. With palm pillars I've kind of come to expect it. Sometimes it's less confusing to test all the plausible sizes at once, so you don't have to guess whether to wick up or down when it goes wrong.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Thanks for the feedback!! I have CSN 11, so I will try that one next. It may be a challenge, but I am dertermined to find the correct formula. I really like the tortoise-bayberry for the holidays.

Debbie--please keep us posted on your results. It is helpful. I will be sure to take pics on my next tester.

mama turtle...here is a pic of the csn 9 and 12 on their second burn.

sorry about the blurry photo...used my phone for this one.

so far no blow out but the wicks look sad...in both actually.

post-10297-139458469326_thumb.jpg

post-10297-13945846933_thumb.jpg

Edited by debratant

I re-melted my CSN 9 blow out and used a CSN 11 for my 3rd try. On the first 2 tests, I did not let the candles cure at all, just lit them up. Any theory that I should wait for wick testing?? Just want to be sure I am not contributing to the problem. The FO throws well hot and cold, so not worries there.

Any theory that I should wait for wick testing??

No theory here. Sometimes they sit around for a few days and sometimes I light them up right away. I haven't tried to figure out for sure if cure time makes a difference in the burn, but I doubt it.