1st tortoise palm pillar

Thanks!! I was surprised at how well it came out on my first try. 1st burn was 3 hours and flame was steady but huge (btw 1.5-2 inches which scares me), blow out happened 2 hours into 2nd burn (flame still huge with a few puffs of black smoke. Next, I will try CSN 11 or CSN 9. Want to have it ready for the holidays.

Heated dye (2 dye chips), wax (1 lb), and UV inhibitor (1/2 tsp) to 200. Removed from heat, added FO (1 oz), stirred for 2 mins, put back on heat to ensure correct temp and poured at 190. Warmed mold in oven before pouring and cooled on wire rack with styrofoam cooler on top. It was about 73 degrees in the room I was pouring in.

I've been trying to figure out what the best pouring guidelines are for this wax so I can write up a summary, but I'm not sure if there are consistent rules or if it changes with the FO or something.

When I poured on the hotter side like you did, it seemed to cause some blotchy frosting here and there on the surface of the candle. Do you see anything like that or is it all clean?

The reason I poured so hot is because I tested a glas glow and poured to low (175) and did not get a nice pattern. I wanted to make sure to get the tortoise pattern. I did not have any blotchy patches....clean right out of the mold. It was also clean after the 1st burn, but after it cooled from the blow out, there are white freckles around the ring that melted though and caused the wax to drip out on the outside of the pillar. Inside has frosting as well.

I think you could write up a starting guideline, but then folks will have to test around that point to see what works for them in their own workshop.