Burning a candle with a mushrooms that throw excellent

I have been burning a few candles with C3 1/8 uv 1 tbs coconut oil and 6.3 fo with 3 different fos on a 12oz mason jar a 9 oz hex jar an 8 oz jj

and CDN wick and HTP with an excellent throw and no soot BUT they mushroom. My question to all of you is how many will sell the candle like this and how many won't I would really like to know:)

Can't give you a selling answer because I'm not selling. However I do attempt to make them. I sent some home with DIL at Christmas and memntioned the wicks will mushroom and that was the reason I was doing more wick testing. About 3 weeks later she made the comment that yes the wick did mushroom but that didn't bother her since she always trims her wick. So - from my prospective no - I woudn't, from my DIL's - who burns a lot of candles - didn't bother her. I've learned in the short time I've been doing this that I'm probably too critical. No one else seems to mind the things that are driving me crazy - mushrooms, wet spots. They simply want a good smelling candle. HTH

I think you can go nuts testing wicks for the perfect burn and then you get a hold of a store bought candle and find it mushrooms like an SOB.

I think soot build up and over-heating jars are bigger issue than mushrooming. So if you're candles' wicks mushroom a little just remind your customers that you recommend they trim their wicks before they re-light for the best results. Sometime the wick mushrooms because it was too long when it was first lit but then you trim it to 1/8th of an inch and it doesn't mushroom on the re-light.

I use zinc wicks in a parasoy blend and my candles will mushroom if not trimmed, but everything else seems to be working fine so I'm ok with it and I have never had anyone have an issues with it. My customers have never said anything about mushrooms but always say how great my candles smell so I'm ok with it. :smiley2:

By the way I only use 6% or less of fo in my candles so that really does help keep the schrooms down!

Edited by lsbennis

I too have found that the shroom does not bother people. I have been testing wicks in a parasoy blend for a looooong time and just tried zincs for the very first time because I was against using them until now. They do produce a small mushroom when burned over 4 hours but still no soot and that was my ultimate goal. So far I have a great throw and a nice even burn so a little shroom is nothing to me and not one of my testers even mentioned it to me

I use 6% in almost all the scents I am testing.

I get mushrooms as well the first couple of burns. I use gb415 . I have used htp wicks, cotton wicks ,CDNs and now testing CDs. they all mushroom. If I wick down the wick is too small 1/3rd to 1/2 way down then drowns out. Even with the sizes I use they struggle for a burn or two and then catch up. I haven't given up on trying as I said I am doing side by sides now with CDN and CD . Only did a first burn and I see a minimal difference both had mushrooms.Wish I had the answer. I have also cut back on my FO as much as I can to no avail. The throw is fabulous so ... got me

PS the shroom doesn't bother anyone I know either except ME

Edited by lrbd