Question about loaf molds

candlemama

I just received some more goodies in the mail today (I am spending sooo much money trying to save money by making my own soaps, lotions, makeup and candles). I now have a silicone loaf mold, mitre box and wavy cutter. So, how do I use these new toys? I plan to make one of Candybee's OMH recipes tonight and want to use my new mold but am not sure how long to let the soap sit in there before trying to cut it. Any advice for a newbie like me???

Thanks!

Sounds like you have already been given some good advice so I won't add anything. It will be a good test to see how long it takes your soap to set up in your mold. I find most soaps, including loaf soaps, take anywhere from 2-4 hours to set up and harden. But I have been working with my molds for several years so I know when to unmold.

Let me know how you like the OMH recipe. I just made a 2 lb batch myself to take to my craft show this weekend. What FO are you using?

Thanks for the help. I let the soap sit in the mold overnight, about 12 hours, before I cut into it. Of course, I read these replies after I cut into the loaf and got lucky the inside was nice and firm, too! That would have been a mess if the inside was still too soft. My mold holds about 40 oz.

Sounds like you have already been given some good advice so I won't add anything. It will be a good test to see how long it takes your soap to set up in your mold. I find most soaps, including loaf soaps, take anywhere from 2-4 hours to set up and harden. But I have been working with my molds for several years so I know when to unmold.

Let me know how you like the OMH recipe. I just made a 2 lb batch myself to take to my craft show this weekend. What FO are you using?

Love the recipe so far, Candybee! Washed my hands with some of the leftover in my bowl this morning, and it feels wonderful. Had to change a couple of things, though, because I didn't have the ingredients I needed. I used Dr. Bronner's unscented soap in place of the glycerin and added two more tablespoons. Also I didn't have any castor oil, so I used apricot kernal oil instead. I have no clue if the two oils act similarly and can be interchanged, but I just bought some of the apricot kernel oil and wanted to try it out! I need to get some castor oil to keep on hand.

I used EBC's oatmeal, milk and honey FO, and it smells so good and comforting. Makes me want to wrap up in it and take a nap! Had a slight mishap with the oatmeal, though. I guess I got too impatient and added the oatmeal too soon. It looked like it suspended correctly last night, but all the oatmeal settled at the bottom. It looks cool, but I wish it was suspended. I want to try the pumice foot scrub recipe next, so I need to make sure that one suspends correctly!

The only way to get your oatmeal (or anything else) to suspend in your soap is to stir it almost continually until the soap starts to cool down quite a bit.. it has to begin to thicken up in order to keep the oatmeal suspended. It's a pain in the rear to do, but it's nice when you can get it to work.

I actually love having my oatmeal fall to the bottom of the soap so I have one exfoliating side and one smooth. My customers love that too!

I actually love having my oatmeal fall to the bottom of the soap so I have one exfoliating side and one smooth. My customers love that too!

Ditto! I partially grind my oats in my blender so I have a combo of oat flour, bits, and whole oats. Then add that to my recipe and blend it in. I go ahead and pour and let the oatmeal settle. The flour part stays suspended while the bits and whole pieces tend to settle and you end up with a soap that has a scrubby side and the other is creamy. I love it and so do my customers. Its one of my bestsellers!